Displaying data from Account Entity in Case Entity (CRM 2011) RRS feed

• Question

• I need to display some fields read only on the Case Entity from the Account entity

These fields values stored option lists. (already populated on account entity)
    I want these values displayed on the Case entity when a new case is created.

When creating a new Case:
     - We enter the Account name from a lookup field from the Account Entity
     - We select the contact name from a filtered list from the Contact Entity for that account.

I want the fields to auto populate either on save of the case or on the on change of the Account field

that is when the account field is populated (triggered)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Nick M

Friday, December 16, 2016 7:19 PM

Answers

• If you want to just show the fields from the parent account on the case form you could use a quick view form.

If however, you want to actually store the fields from the parent account in fields in the case record then you will need to follow Andrii's answer.

Feridun, Nick uses CRM 2011 where Quick View forms are not available yet...

Dynamics CRM MVP
    Read My blog
    Subscribe for one of my courses

• Marked as answer by NickMangioros Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:24 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:52 PM
  • You may alternatively wish to consider creating an HTML web resource to display read-only data from associated entities instead of actually storing the data in both places and keeping it in sync. For example, you could create a 'header' of some sort that might show some Account information, some Contact information, etc that would be quickly visible near the top of the Case form. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309536.aspx

• Marked as answer by NickMangioros Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hello Nick,

You have 2 ways - JavaScript and Plugins. I will highly recommend to use plugins. So to do that in plugin you will have just develop plugin code that will handle create/update of customer field of case entity, read account's entity fields and populate correspond case fields.

Dynamics CRM MVP
    Read My blog

Friday, December 16, 2016 9:56 PM
  • If you want to just show the fields from the parent account on the case form you could use a quick view form.

If however, you want to actually store the fields from the parent account in fields in the case record then you will need to follow Andrii's answer.

Monday, December 19, 2016 2:36 PM

Feridun, Nick uses CRM 2011 where Quick View forms are not available yet...

Dynamics CRM MVP
    Read My blog

• Marked as answer by NickMangioros Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:24 PM
    Monday, December 19, 2016 2:52 PM
  • Good call, indeed you cannot use Quick View forms in CRM 2011.  Can you upgrade to a later version?..........
    Monday, December 19, 2016 6:10 PM
  • Although a couple of versions back we cannot upgrade this time.

thanks.

Nick M

Monday, December 19, 2016 6:40 PM
  • You may alternatively wish to consider creating an HTML web resource to display read-only data from associated entities instead of actually storing the data in both places and keeping it in sync. For example, you could create a 'header' of some sort that might show some Account information, some Contact information, etc that would be quickly visible near the top of the Case form. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg309536.aspx

• Marked as answer by NickMangioros Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:53 PM
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 5:41 PM