had to validate after uninstalling and reinstalling video drivers RRS feed

• Question

• hi, last week i uninstalled and reinstalled video drivers in conjunction with dirver cleaner pro.  after rebooting, my windows told me "due to hardware changes, i must reactivate my copy of windows."

no big deal i thought.  except, the 'net activation wouldn't work and the automated phone system wouldn't work.  i had to speak to a live person.

want to know how to make the process better?  please make it so i dont have to spend ten minutes reactivating windows (and repeating about 30-40 numbers to an automated system then to a human) because i uninstall video dirvers.
    Friday, June 16, 2006 2:13 PM

Answers

• joegman,

I noticed that you said validate in the Subject title, but activate in the body. Curious, was it valitate, activate or both?   There is not much advice that we can give you here concerning Activation. Validation shouldn't be a problem onece you are activated. Were you having any problems with validating windows after changing your drivers? If you were please download this tool:

WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

-Derrick

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:44 PM

All replies

• joegman,

I noticed that you said validate in the Subject title, but activate in the body. Curious, was it valitate, activate or both?   There is not much advice that we can give you here concerning Activation. Validation shouldn't be a problem onece you are activated. Were you having any problems with validating windows after changing your drivers? If you were please download this tool:

WGA Diagnostic Tool  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and then click on "Copy to Clipboard". Paste the results into your forum response.

Thanks,

-Derrick

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:44 PM
  • Thank you for the reply.  The subject was a typo, WGA alerted me after the reboot that "due to hardware changes, i must reactivate my copy of windows."

I understand activating after a reinstall, but after reinstalling video drivers, and jumping through hoops, is a real pain. 

Thursday, June 29, 2006 6:52 PM
  • Joe:

Installing new hardware drivers (unless it changes the hardware ID from a generic driver to one specific for your video card, for example) shouldn't cause an issue with activation.

I'm afraid to say that Activation and Validation are two totally different things. Activation is done through another group.

Did you upgrade firmware? Did you upgrade from generic to specific drivers?

-phil

Thursday, June 29, 2006 7:00 PM