ASUS P5N-E SLI RRS feed

• Question

• I just finally found my copy of WHS on newegg.com tonight! I am about to start my first ever build which I will use for my server. Here is the specs so far;

1.Cooler master stacker case

2. ASUS P5N-E SLI

3. No power supply yet

4. No dvd-rom yet

5. CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

6. 3 seagate 500 gb

My Question is do I need a good video card or one at all....if I want to stream movies when I'm away from home?

Sorry they may seem like dumb questions but please bear with me. Also what size power supply would you recommend?

Am I forgetting anything?

All help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:35 AM

All replies

• You need to check the manual for your proposed motherboard, as most boards won't boot without a video adapter installed. Possibly the BIOS will allow starting without it.

You will need a basic card to install the software anyway, but you don't need anything more than the cheapest one you can find. Also note that you don't need sound or anything else, but you do need to ensure that things like the NIC port has W2k3 drivers available.

(You don't need a high=grade card to stream videos - your local machine will take care of that.)

From your spec., I would reckon 200W should be enough, but, you need to think ahead and will you ever install any more or larger hard drive, in which case 400W would be better.

HTH,

Colin

Saturday, October 6, 2007 7:58 PM
  • I would get a less expensive, smaller, and quieter case, personally. The motherboard is more than you need; you're not going to use it in SLI mode, for example. And you definitely need a CPU, which isn't on your list.

You'll need a video card for installation, but it can be an old one out of your closet, as long as it still works. For normal operation, check and see if you can set your BIOS to boot even if no video card is present, then remove the video card when installation is complete. Assuming you pull the video card and DVD-ROM drive after installation, you will need at least a 300 w PSU in my opinion, because you want your server to be able to run 24/7 for years without a problem. Power supplies lose capacity as they age; a 200 w PSU that's adequate today won't boot the server in a year.

Saturday, October 6, 2007 8:21 PM
  • The only reason I bought that motherboard is because eventually i will use this as my personal system so i wanted something that i could upgrade......My current desktop has a great warrenty so ill use that till it runs out then change them. I got a 500w power supply to be safe and I am going to shop for video cards today any suggestions?

Monday, October 8, 2007 8:59 PM