Activation key not working RRS feed

• Question

• I have purchased a refurbished copy of Win7 home premium through Amazon from one of their resellers, Pro-jex in Germany, who unfortunately are not responding to my emails regarding this problem. I recieved the disks together with a key but when I tried to install the OS it asks for a key in the format of xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx but the key sent with the COA is xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.

Can you please help or advise me

Regards

Friday, February 22, 2013 10:41 AM

Answers

• There are no such things as 'refursbished windows 7' - a computer is refurbished, but the Operating system is not.

You need to take up the issue with the vendor of whatever it ws that you bought - or the payment mechanism used.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    No - I do not work for Microsoft, or any of its contractors.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Legally, the 'refurbished' OS CANNOT be sold unless preinstalled on a computer - such sales as you describe are obviously an attempt to get around the restriction.

While they may pass all technical tests such as activation and validation, I suspect that any lawyer would tell you that they are illegal, since the License lies with the motherboard, and not with the Hard Drive.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:21 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately, your product key issue can only be resolved by the seller that sold you the software.  If you are unable to communicate with the seller, unfortunately, you are out of luck.

Carey Frisch

Friday, February 22, 2013 6:48 PM
  • There are no such things as 'refursbished windows 7' - a computer is refurbished, but the Operating system is not.

You need to take up the issue with the vendor of whatever it ws that you bought - or the payment mechanism used.

Friday, February 22, 2013 9:26 PM
  • Thank you for your response. Refurbished OS's are OS disks reclaimed from businesses that have gone out of business. They are sold secondhand as full versions not OEM and come with a genuine hologram COA and new activation key obtained through Microsoft.

For the seller to sell openly through Amazon I believe it to be genuine. There are many happy reviews on Amazon but none giving any clue about the key format. Assuming the OS to be genuine, I am simply trying to ascertain what a key in the format of xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx means, whether like an embedded key, it requires me to obtain another key from Microsoft or do I need to install using the OPK or is there some other meaning to a key in this format?

See this link...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Premium-inkl/dp/B008OT0G6C/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1361698056&sr=8-14

Any help would be welcome.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Legally, the 'refurbished' OS CANNOT be sold unless preinstalled on a computer - such sales as you describe are obviously an attempt to get around the restriction.

While they may pass all technical tests such as activation and validation, I suspect that any lawyer would tell you that they are illegal, since the License lies with the motherboard, and not with the Hard Drive.

Sunday, February 24, 2013 10:21 AM
  • There is nothing illegal about an authorised company purchasing a full Licence Key from MS and selling it on with a second hand disk.

So to stay on topic, my issue is the activation key. I am not familiar with the xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx format, does anyone know what it means?

Monday, February 25, 2013 9:58 AM
  • So far as I am aware - there is no such Key format.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:02 AM
  • ...and yes - it is totally outside the licensing rules for OEM software, and therefore illegal, to sell the license in anything except a complete computer.

Monday, February 25, 2013 10:14 AM
  • There is nothing illegal about an authorised company purchasing a full Licence Key from MS and selling it on with a second hand disk.

So to stay on topic, my issue is the activation key. I am not familiar with the xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxx format, does anyone know what it means?

Please see: How to know you're buying genuine Windows and Certificate of Authenticity (COA)

Carey Frisch

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 8:37 AM