What's the recommended procedure for migrating/upgrading a current WHS to a new WHS (with different hardware) while maintaining all data? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I currently have a WHS setup and configured with several drives (and data) attached. I'd like to upgrade to a brand new system and maintain all my data. What is the recommended procedure?

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:08 PM

All replies

• Depends how much data, disks and what you have available.  Do you want to keep all your client backups?

1) A new system and take your drives with you? Turn on duplication, backup your client backups with WHS BDBB - move your drives if you are going SATA to SATA to the new system making sure you get the system drive as the boot drive and then do a server recovery.

2) A new system with new drives.  With console access use a crossover network cable and copy from \\server1\share to \\server2\share

3) A new system with some new drives.  Pop each of the old drives into the new system one at a time as backup drives but retain the data (i.e. don't format)  copy data on the old drive from e: to \\localhost\share  - once copied remove the drive as backup and add it to the pool.

4) A new system with a massive eSATA/USB/Fireware external drive - copy all your data off to the external drive, connect to new server copy back on.

That's the thing about WHS - you have a choice.

--
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Thanks Al,

So I have no client backups, I only have data on the shares. The new system will have the same drives though. I have:

-2 HD's in the main system case (1 is for the system install) the other for data
    -4 HD's in a RAID unit (case) connected to the WHS via eSata

Can I just opt to remove the internal hard drive (the one in the main case) and then do a complete new install on the new system and then attach the RAID case?

Thanks!
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:29 PM
  • Thanks Al,

So I have no client backups, I only have data on the shares. The new system will have the same drives though. I have:

-2 HD's in the main system case (1 is for the system install) the other for data
    -4 HD's in a RAID unit (case) connected to the WHS via eSata

Can I just opt to remove the internal hard drive (the one in the main case) and then do a complete new install on the new system and then attach the RAID case?

Thanks!
    No.  Once you add the hard drives in the RAID case to the storage pool, they will automatically get formatted.  The best option would be to move all of the hard drives (including the ones in the RAID case) to the new hardware and do a Server Reinstallation (Recovery).  See this FAQ about how to perform a Server Reinstallation (although the FAQ subject does not apply to you, the steps are the same).
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:47 PM
  • Thanks for saving me there. So the "Server Reinstallation" option is also meant to install on a new configuration and yet maintain all previous data?
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Thanks for saving me there. So the "Server Reinstallation" option is also meant to install on a new configuration and yet maintain all previous data?
    Yes.  All it does is wipe the OS partition, leaving your data alone.  Just make sure you get select Server Reinstallation (Recovery) as the other option, New Installation, wipes everything.  (And, if your 2 hardware configurations are similar enough, you might not even need to do that.)
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:11 PM
  •   (And, if your 2 hardware configurations are similar enough, you might not even need to do that.)

Don't forget activation will probably get you, maybe you'll get enough points if you take over the network card and you didn't have a CPU ID.
    --
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:20 PM
  • Thanks all very much. I'll report back if I have any issues. Again thank you!!
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:41 PM