Remote Access - Computers Page Fails RRS feed

• Question

• I have remote accessing working great, except for the computers tab. Whenever I click that tab I get the "Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error" message.

I already filed a bug based on the FAQ, but I was wondering if there was any troubleshooting that I could do to figure out what is going on. Everything else seems to be working pretty well so far.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:43 PM

Answers

• After 20 days, the logs are set to be cleaned up. In this time. However, the IIS is running under Network Service, which does not have privilege to “Delete” the logs. In the website we talk to our Transport service to get the computer information, which try to deal with some logs and fails and throws.

Solution:

1.  Shut down w3wp.exe on the server (Ctrl,alt,Del and end the w3wp.exe process), .
    2. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, delete all w3wp.xxxx.xxxxx.xxx.log. 
    3. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\
    4. Right click logs, click properties, click "sharing and security"
    5. Click the Security Tab
    6. Grant account “NETWORK SERVICE” "Modify" privilege instead of “Read & Write”.
    7. Click ok.
    8. Reboot Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Ok, I turned off custom errors on the website and when I clicked the computers tab I got:

Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\w3wp.070221.111035.1096.log' is denied.

So in your answer just changed All Users to All Users.WINDOWS and it should solve the problem.

Thanks!

NOTE: you can also use iisreset /stop and iisreset /start instead of killing the w3wp process.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Sorry, I should have added you need to reboot the Windows Home Server after completing this.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:45 PM
  • You may not need to terminate w3wp.exe.  Only if it's running.  Other than that check this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1312494&SiteID=50
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:13 PM

All replies

• Check this FAQ out. I believe this is a known issue.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:48 PM
  • That was the FAQ I was referring to in my post. I did what the FAQ suggested (submitted a bug) but I was just wondering if there is any other troubleshooting I can do.

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:58 PM
  • I am looking into it now and I will let you know here soon.
    Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:36 PM
  • After 20 days, the logs are set to be cleaned up. In this time. However, the IIS is running under Network Service, which does not have privilege to “Delete” the logs. In the website we talk to our Transport service to get the computer information, which try to deal with some logs and fails and throws.

Solution:

1.  Shut down w3wp.exe on the server (Ctrl,alt,Del and end the w3wp.exe process), .
    2. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs, delete all w3wp.xxxx.xxxxx.xxx.log. 
    3. Go to C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\
    4. Right click logs, click properties, click "sharing and security"
    5. Click the Security Tab
    6. Grant account “NETWORK SERVICE” "Modify" privilege instead of “Read & Write”.
    7. Click ok.
    8. Reboot Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Thanks for the answer, however that didn't solve the problem.

I did one other test and added the Network Service account to the Administrators group and then the page started working. However, I don't think this is a good idea :) so I removed it. But that means that it is some kind of permissions issue, but I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:05 PM
  • Ok, I turned off custom errors on the website and when I clicked the computers tab I got:

Access to the path 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\logs\w3wp.070221.111035.1096.log' is denied.

So in your answer just changed All Users to All Users.WINDOWS and it should solve the problem.

Thanks!

NOTE: you can also use iisreset /stop and iisreset /start instead of killing the w3wp process.

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:12 PM
  • Sorry, I should have added you need to reboot the Windows Home Server after completing this.

Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:45 PM
  • No need to reboot! Just run iisreset and it works!
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:55 PM
  • I tried to do this but when I press ctrl/alt/delete/ there is no w3wp.exe running and there are no w3wp.....log files on the server????
    Sunday, March 11, 2007 5:01 PM
  • Hello.

I have the same problem as "garybly". I have seen in the "Task Manager" buy I didn't find any "w3wp.exe" and I didn't find log files witt the name "w3wpxxxxxx".

Is there any answer to this question?

Thanks in advanced,

Sergio

Monday, March 26, 2007 3:17 PM
  • You may not need to terminate w3wp.exe.  Only if it's running.  Other than that check this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1312494&SiteID=50
    Monday, March 26, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Hi again.

I've tried these Post too, but it doesn't go.

I become the same message:

Windows Home Server Remote Access has encountered an error. 
      To fix this error, please try the following:
      Click here to refresh this page

or
      Click here to return to the Remote Access home page and try your task again

If you're still experiencing difficulties please talk with your home server administrator for assistance. 

more ideas?

Thanks,

Sergio

Wednesday, April 4, 2007 11:10 AM
  • Sergio,

Please report this as a bug on Connect. Include TalQ logs and a trace (from trace.axd).
    Wednesday, April 4, 2007 11:49 AM
  • This is a known issue, Ken, and a fix has been posted.

1) Logon to the Server, either at the console or via RDP. 

2) Click Start, Run and enter %QLOGS% and click Ok. 

3) In Windows Explorer, click the Up (one folder) on the toolbar.

4) Right click the Logs folder and select Properties.

5) Go to the Security tab and assign the Network Service account Modify permissions. 

6) Click Start, Run and enter NET STOP W3SVC and click Ok.

7) Click Start, Run and enter NET START W3SVC and click Ok.

Thursday, April 5, 2007 2:16 AM
  • That was my issue exactly as Bryant Described
    Thursday, April 5, 2007 4:05 AM
  • i had the same problems with the computer page, but after the doing the steps joel given above all works fine

i think it would be fixed in the next version.

greetings,

stephan

Thursday, April 5, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Hi.

I've tried, that Doug Knox say, but it doesn't work 

The folder "Logs" have "modify" permissions for the user. If it's possible, I could upload images with my actions, to prove what I say.

So, maybe it's the problem, that I connect my Windows Home Server from a Remote Access from another Remote Access. That is:

My computer   -->            Intermediate         -->  Computer with the Windows Home Server

|                                                    |

Remote Desktop Connection         Internet Explorer Connection

Is this a problem? or should I send a bug like Ken Warren say?

Thank you very much for you attention,

Sergio

Monday, April 9, 2007 2:52 PM
  • Try going with Full Control.  Also ensure that you stop and start the IIS service (W3SVC).  You may need to reboot, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Additionally, why such a convoluted route to get in via Remote Access? Forward port 443 and 4125 to your WHS machine and go directly to it.

Monday, April 9, 2007 7:48 PM
  • I've tried with Full Control (and reboot the WHS machine) but it doesn't work either 

The convoluted route to get in via Remote Access my WHS, is because my WHS is in another network and place that my computer (job's reasons in my company ). So, I connect the another network with the Remote Desktop Connection on other computer. This computer is in the same network that the WHS.

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 11:20 AM
  • The only thing I can think of is to make sure that you're modifying the permissions for the Network Service user and not another user.  Rebooting the machine would have the same effect as restarting IIS.  If this issue still occurs, even after making the changes, I'd file a separate bug, and specify the steps you have taken, as posted in this thread.
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 9:41 PM
  • I just ran into this issue 2 days ago.  I'm confused I see at least 2 solutions posted here?  Is there any way to determine which one to use?

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 5:16 PM
  • The method I posted, above, is straight from a Connect feedback item from the product team.  Re-worded a bit, but it worked well for me.
    Wednesday, April 11, 2007 8:32 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    The method I posted, above, is straight from a Connect feedback item from the product team.  Re-worded a bit, but it worked well for me.

tried it did not work, but I did not restart the server, and I did it during a back(if that matters?)

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 11:53 PM
  • Ensure you're following the correct procedure:

1) Logon to the Server, either at the console or via RDP. 

2) Click Start, Run and enter %QLOGS% and click Ok. 

3) In Windows Explorer, click the Up (one folder) on the toolbar.

4) Right click the Logs folder and select Properties.

5) Go to the Security tab and assign the Network Service account Modify permissions. 

6) Click Start, Run and enter NET STOP W3SVC and click Ok.

7) Click Start, Run and enter NET START W3SVC and click Ok.

You don't have to reboot the server, but you MUST stop and restart IIS (W3SVC).

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:24 AM
  • yep did everything, even saw the Command box that stated the net stopped and started again..

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:36 AM
  • When you can reboot the server.  If that doesn't correct it, file a bug. You're apparently experiencing a different issue.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:40 AM
  • I'm doing it remotely... but I noticed someone mention to use Full Control.  And that did it.  Not sure what difference it made but the directions are quite clear...

thankyou for the help.

Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:52 AM
  • I mentioned "full control", just in case for another user.  I'll amend the instructions.
    Thursday, April 12, 2007 2:54 AM
  • ok, just a day or two later the problem comes back,  will this be a reoccuring problem??  What causes it?  Does it start again for others?
    Friday, April 13, 2007 11:22 AM
  • It seemed to start on March 8th, for some folks.  I noticed it on the 9th, as I recall.  I fixed it once, and it stayed fixed.  I've no clue why its re-occuring on your machine.  I'd file a bug, including the fact that you had previously corrected this problem.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 12:02 PM
  •  Doug Knox wrote:
    It seemed to start on March 8th, for some folks.  I noticed it on the 9th, as I recall.  I fixed it once, and it stayed fixed.  I've no clue why its re-occuring on your machine.  I'd file a bug, including the fact that you had previously corrected this problem.

I looked at the file a bug section.. not sure if I should do it, looks like the same prob is there several times.. I keep fixing it and it comes back.. the real problem is I can not determine what causes it to re occur..

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:13 PM
  • It hasn't happened again for me.  If the other bugs don't mention it coming back after being "fixed", I'd file a separate bug.
    Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:59 AM