Do all computers on a mesh work like a workgroup? Can I manage resources on the mesh as an administrator? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
        I have a felling that all computers on a mesh are just like those ones in a workgroup, do not they? I mean, if an user on a computer A wants to read/write/edit other files or run softwares,except the shared folder, on another computer B, he must log on computer B using an user account of computer B. I know there are at most 10 PCs supported in a workgroup while the number of PCs on a mesh can be up to 100. My question is what the difference between a Live mesh and a workgroup is?
       Image a scenario that a mesh consists of computer A, B and C. I want to become an administrator of the mesh so that I can control the creating of user1, user2, ... and user n, and assign computer A to user1 to use at 8.00 AM and use2 to use at 10.00 AM...    My question is : can it be implemented on LiveMesh? 
       Thx.

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 8:13 AM

Answers

• There is no relationship between a workgroup and Live Mesh.

A workgroup in a network of Windows PCs is simply a group of PCs on a local LAN. Sharing needs to be enabled and configured to allow any resource sharing between PCs in the workgroup.

Live Mesh has two functions currently:
    1. Synchronization of files between devices in the Mesh (defined as a LiveID) and with invited guests - think overlapping rings where User A has multiple devices synchronizing multiple folders and User B has their own set of devices and folders, but User A invites user B to a specific folder so that files in that folder might sync to one or more devices in User B's Mesh, too.
    2. Remote Access - which is basically an extension of Remote Desktop functionality that allows someone to log onto a PC remotely from any PC when logged into the Mesh with the LiveID for that Mesh.

What you are envisioning is access control with a schedule for Users at the local PCs. That's not what Live Mesh does or can do. Basically, you need Parental Controls on the PC or PCs with you as the administrator to configure the rights and schedule for the other users.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:17 PM

All replies

• There is no relationship between a workgroup and Live Mesh.

A workgroup in a network of Windows PCs is simply a group of PCs on a local LAN. Sharing needs to be enabled and configured to allow any resource sharing between PCs in the workgroup.

Live Mesh has two functions currently:
    1. Synchronization of files between devices in the Mesh (defined as a LiveID) and with invited guests - think overlapping rings where User A has multiple devices synchronizing multiple folders and User B has their own set of devices and folders, but User A invites user B to a specific folder so that files in that folder might sync to one or more devices in User B's Mesh, too.
    2. Remote Access - which is basically an extension of Remote Desktop functionality that allows someone to log onto a PC remotely from any PC when logged into the Mesh with the LiveID for that Mesh.

What you are envisioning is access control with a schedule for Users at the local PCs. That's not what Live Mesh does or can do. Basically, you need Parental Controls on the PC or PCs with you as the administrator to configure the rights and schedule for the other users.

-steve

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:17 PM
  •   Hi, Stephen,

Thanks very much for your reply.

As for my second question, maybe I did not express very clearly. I mean that the admninistrator can schedule users at all PCs on the mesh. For example, because more than two users from different PCs (e.g., PC1, PC2 and PC3) are visiting PC0 at the same time resuliting in bad performance of PC0, the administrator can forces user1 at PC1 to stopping visiting PC0 and schedule him to use another idle computer, PC4. Can Livemesh do it?  Thx.

Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:49 AM
  • If you mean that you want to schedule *remote* users, no.
    When you connect to a PC in the mesh remotely using Live Mesh Remote Desktop, anyone logged on the PC locally (at the PC) can deny the connection. Further, if you try to log on remotely and someone else with access to that PC via Live Mesh RD is already logged on, you will not be able to log on.
    -steve
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Hi, steve
       I am sorry for reading your reply so late.
       No, I do not mean that I want to schedule *remote* users.
       In fact, what I want to do is that I can work as an IT administrator just like the administrator in a Windows domain. Is it possible?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 9:52 AM
  • Hi, steve
       I am sorry for reading your reply so late.
       No, I do not mean that I want to schedule *remote* users.
       In fact, what I want to do is that I can work as an IT administrator just like the administrator in a Windows domain. Is it possible?

No need to apologize.
    I think that the answer is still no. Live Mesh isn't something that is controlled by a domain administrator. The service installs on the machine and runs as a service at that level. The synchronization part is based on the signed in user's LiveID using the client program.
    There is no administration as such.
    -steve
    Monday, May 11, 2009 1:07 PM
  •  Thanks Steve!
    Thursday, May 14, 2009 2:37 AM