Home server is really a blind box? RRS feed

• Question

• I guess, later on, it will come out the real hardware named windows home server. I am just wondering, when the formal WHS announced, the hardware is just a box without any I/O devices. If there is no monitor/keyboard/mouse, how customer supposed to install the OS to it? Anyone have any thoughts on this, Pls share with me, appreciated Smile

Gerry

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:11 AM

Answers

• Hi Gerry, WHS will be preinstalled by the server manufacturers so there will be no need for the customer to install the software, and from what i can gather if everything goes wrong there will be a reset button on the server to reinstall the software. there will also be an OEM version availible for people to install on their own hardware.

kev

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:18 AM
  •  

Here is the information I have from a MS produced PowerPoint presentation

Recovery can be used when:

• Home Server primary hard drive crashes
    • Windows Home Server password is forgotten
    • Change of locale on the server

System Builders

• Reboot from installation DVD
    • Select "Server Reinstallation" option

OEM Device

• OEM creates system image
    • User boots home server device from flash ROM
    • Use Home Server Recovery application from one of the home computers
      Tuesday, July 3, 2007 7:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Gerry, WHS will be preinstalled by the server manufacturers so there will be no need for the customer to install the software, and from what i can gather if everything goes wrong there will be a reset button on the server to reinstall the software. there will also be an OEM version availible for people to install on their own hardware.

kev

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 6:18 AM
    •  

Here is the information I have from a MS produced PowerPoint presentation

Recovery can be used when:

• Home Server primary hard drive crashes
      • Windows Home Server password is forgotten
      • Change of locale on the server

System Builders

• Reboot from installation DVD
      • Select "Server Reinstallation" option

OEM Device

• OEM creates system image
      • User boots home server device from flash ROM
      • Use Home Server Recovery application from one of the home computers
        Tuesday, July 3, 2007 7:01 AM
      • Thanks kev for your information. Even there is a reinstallation button present in case of anything wrong. I am still wondering, if we shut up the server by accident, and we need to power on the WHS again, how can we log into it without typing user-name and password. Moreover, how can we manage the user for this server without monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Gerry
        Tuesday, July 3, 2007 8:55 AM
      • Thanks kev for your information. Even there is a reinstallation button present in case of anything wrong. I am still wondering, if we shut up the server by accident, and we need to power on the WHS again, how can we log into it without typing user-name and password. Moreover, how can we manage the user for this server without monitor/keyboard/mouse?

Gerry
        Tuesday, July 3, 2007 8:56 AM
      • Gerry

If the server gets shut down you can just push the power-on button and start it again.

You do not need to log-on for the server to do its thing.  It can sit at the CTL-ALT-DEL window and it is perfectly happy.

If you need to access the server at that point you can do it via one of the other computers using the Home Server icon in the systray.

In my case, what I did was hook the Server to a KVM as I am still getting use to it just sitting there unattended.

I actually shut mine down at night by pressing the power button and it does a proper shutdown and then I push the power button again in the morning and walk away.

I have my backup scheduled durning the day as I do not like having the systems on at night.

As far as reinstalling the OS, it seems to me you would need a keyboard, mouse and display to do that?

Bob

Tuesday, July 3, 2007 1:32 PM
      • I think you could even create an unattended (fully) install of WHS and store it on an internal USB drive. If that internal drive would be like 2Gb the entire WHS cd would fit on it.

When the OEM device is booted for the first time, all settings from the initial wizard (by RDP) could be saved in to an xml file on that internal USB drive. When the system crashes you could press the reset button and instead of booting from the primary internal drive, the system would boot from the USB drive, therefore starting the unattended setup. After setup, the customization would be run again to restore all users and shares.

Perhaps a plug-in tip? -- create an extra option in the WHS console to update the backup on the USB drive.

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:32 PM