How to delete RRS feed

• Question

• First of all, you are doing a great job here as I am visiting you weekly and read your comments/questions.

Well to-day, it's my turn to ask another question and I thank you in advance for any feedback.

I have been using an external drive for my back up since last year. I have deleted some songs, files and pictures from my notebook in the meantime, since I didn't want them.

As I know, all those deleted files must be on my backups (external drive) and I have been thinking (hey, new year new you) to delete completely the old back ups and make a new one since too many pictures, documents and pictures are no longer needed.

I see no where how to delete and most importnantly when I try to open a file, the oly thing that I see is a zip thing that have the same icons with the others.

How can I delete completely my external drive and then start my new fresh back up?

Thank you very much

Dinaki

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 7:40 AM

Answers

• Hello, Dinaki.

See this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

In addition, once you've deleted the backups or formatted the drive, you may need to reset your OneCare backup settings. To do this, follow the steps below.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:42 PM
  • You're welcome.

I've just updated the FAQ post after visiting Instant Support again. (http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us - I typed "delete backups" in the search box and the first topic in the results list contains the steps)

Here are the notes that have been added:

Notes

So, in your case, I believe that you are not using NTFS, so you should use this part of the FAQ post:

The easiest way to perform this action in any version of Windows XP is to navigate to the backup location, and right click on the folder set you wish to remove, taking care to select the older backup set and not the one just made.

In the right click menu, select Sharing and Security.

When the Sharing and Security tab of the Properties dialog comes up, place a check mark in the middle section - "Share this folder on the network."
    Give the Share a name in the box for "Share Name".
    And place a check mark in "allow network users to change files."

Click OK.

Once you've set the permissions, simply delete the folder and it's contents.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:49 AM

All replies

• Hello, Dinaki.

See this post: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1698096&SiteID=2

In addition, once you've deleted the backups or formatted the drive, you may need to reset your OneCare backup settings. To do this, follow the steps below.

Open OneCare

Click Change Settings

backup tab

Click change settings in the lower left

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Click your PC on the left.

Uncheck the selection for "Turn on backup for this PC."

Click Next and save the revised plan.

Go back to the backup tab and click Change Settings in the lower left once again.

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

-steve

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:42 PM
  • By the way, you can't delete individual files from your backup, and when browsing the backups from Windows Explorer, you will see the zip files. If you select the Restore option in OneCare, you can select specific files to backup. If you choose to perform a complete restore, the files that were deleted from your PC before the most recent backup will not be restored, as each backup creates a new list of the current state of the PC. While the older files are on your backup, they won't be restored unless you choose to backup from an earlier catalog/backup set.

If your external disk isn't short on space, there really is no need to start fresh... Your choice. :-)

-steve 

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 1:46 PM
  • Hi, I uninstalled One Care and am now using another antivirus program, I still have all my backed up files from 2006 though. I need to get rid of them but all of the instructions I have found don't work. I tried deleting the entire folder but it says "access is denied"  I open my computer, click my external HD, right click on the backup file and there is no "security" tab as in the instructions. Can someone please help me!! there are like 100 GIGS of backup files that i can't get rid of!!!

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 8:14 PM
  • Hello Stephen

...and thank you very much for resonding to me so promptly.

Before I start, I appreciate the easy words you chose for the steps on how to delete all that unecessary junk accumulated on the drive.

I have been taking the steps as you said exactly, but on my notebook I see no where the Security tab.

This is what I have been doing:

a) On the Start menu, click Run.

b) Type explorer.exe, and then press ENTER.

c) In My Computer, double-click the drive letter that corresponds to my external hard disk.

d) Right-click the Windows Live OneCare folder, and then click Properties.

e) On the Security tab, under Groups or user names, click either Administrators or your user name.

This is what I am viewing instead:

a) is correct

b) is correct

c) is correct

d) is correct

e) no correct 

this is the window with its three tabs that I can see:

General

Sharing

Customize   

Where and how can I found the Security tab to follow with the rest
    6) Next to Full Control, select the Allow check box, and then click Apply
    7)In the Windows Live OneCare folder, select the backup set folder, and then press DELETE.

I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, service pack2, it's a Gateway MX6450 notebook and poor me, that's all that I know with my notebook.
    Oh...I have also the automatic Windows Update set.
    WLOC is been purchased and not in trial (will be expired next month though)

Thank you for helping me
    Dinaki

Tuesday, February 19, 2008 11:02 PM
  • You're welcome.

I've just updated the FAQ post after visiting Instant Support again. (http://help.live.com/help.aspx?project=onecarev2&mkt=en-us - I typed "delete backups" in the search box and the first topic in the results list contains the steps)

Here are the notes that have been added:

Notes

So, in your case, I believe that you are not using NTFS, so you should use this part of the FAQ post:

The easiest way to perform this action in any version of Windows XP is to navigate to the backup location, and right click on the folder set you wish to remove, taking care to select the older backup set and not the one just made.

In the right click menu, select Sharing and Security.

When the Sharing and Security tab of the Properties dialog comes up, place a check mark in the middle section - "Share this folder on the network."
    Give the Share a name in the box for "Share Name".
    And place a check mark in "allow network users to change files."

Click OK.

Once you've set the permissions, simply delete the folder and it's contents.

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:49 AM
  • Thank you so very much Stephen

I did exactly what you just told me and what I deleted everything.

It's time for me now to make a new fresh back up using this superbe software which surely protects every one who owns it, calling Windows Live Onecare.

This is what I have been enjoying Microsoft, their products are the best available in the market to-day with some excellent service support..

Oh oh oh and by the way, everyone who wants to buy a portable player, I have news for you.

It is called Zune, get one and that bad baby is the real WOW

A very happy customer/friend of Microsoft

Dinaki

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 3:09 AM
  • You're welcome and enjoy your Zune. :-)

-steve

Wednesday, February 20, 2008 1:21 PM
  • I followed your instructions in your delete faq but I still get access denied even when I just give everyone full control. one care is a real pain and its filled up my external hard drive. why on earth hasn't microsoft added a feature to allow the user to limit the numbers of backups kept. For most the last three would more than surely suffice. keeping everyone and not allowing you to delete is just so stupid.

Sad

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:30 PM
  •  

Yes, I agree that this is a big oversight in OneCare's backup design.

Try the command line process. The quotes are part of the command:

If you are comfortable using the command line, open a Command Prompt window (in XP, Start/All Programs/Accessories/Command Prompt) (In Vista, Start and type "command" in the search box)

If you have a folder on the E: drive called Windows OneCare Backup and the folder in it is called "computer" and the backup set you want to delete is within the "computer" folder, then do this:

cacls "e:\Windows OneCare Backup\computer" /t /g administrators:F

-steve
    Thursday, May 15, 2008 6:24 PM
  • Hi Stephen,

First of all thanks for replying so promptly. May I ask what this command actually does, do I then still have to delete via the DOS command line (god help me!) or can I then flip out to windows explorer and use that which would be far easier for me to understand and not make any mistakes!!!

Obviously I want to try to keep the last backup and just deleted the old ones to free up some space.

PS: Do you know when the dev team are going to fix this, to put it bluntly I cant quite believe having paid good money for this product just quite how bad and what little it does.

Now for a bit of a Rant! (Not directed at you Stephen - but to the world at large!!!)

I feel like I was extremely misled by the marketing!!! It doesn't even do a decent defrag just re-uses the Sh** windows default. I thought it would at least be something on a par with perfect disk or disk keeper. How wrong was I....

Does anyone have a line into the product team so we can get some serious new versions of this product developed asap. I almost feel like asking for my money back Sad Currently its worth nothing like what Microsoft charged me for it. Just a few dollars at best to group togther a bunch of existing features they already had.

Cheers, Ian.

Friday, May 16, 2008 8:56 AM
  •  

I can say proudly that few weeks ago, I continued my Windows Live OneCare subscription for another year, simply I do like it a lot.

I understand Ian that in the back-up section things could be a little easier for us users, but trust me dear, Microsoft is here for us and listens to all our ideas, questions and comments.

I can tell you one very simple thing that happened to us Zuners, Microsoft gave an update to the Zune Software and device and believe you me, Zune is and will remain the best of the best digital player of the market available today.

I am deeply sorry Ian that you are facing soem problems with the WLOC back up option, and I hope it will also be resolved for you very soon.

Dina

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:08 AM
  • You can already schedule within XP , disk clean-up, disk defrag & there is a free backup utility you can download and schedule. Currently Onecare feels like these three combined into a nice UI. So yes thats ok, but not worth that much. That only leaves the antivirus side that used to be free in the form of Windows Defender, but was also a seperate product.

I've paid now and my chances of getting my money back are zero, so as far as I'm concerned they have one year to make some seriously significant improvements to the backup (see any of the leading windows backup products), and the defrag (see diskkeeper or perfectdisk) for starters. Ideally this sort of product should have come with a reg cleaner aswell. If they do that within the year I will happily extend my subscription and chalk up the first year to going 'bleeding' rather than 'leading' edge Smile

Anyone who knows the dev team please feel free to forward this on and they can use this note as there objective for the next release.

Ian.

Friday, May 16, 2008 9:50 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

In the end I got bored and just decided to try the command anyway!!! it then asked me if I was sure and when I answered "y" for yes it just said access denied Sad

Thanks for trying, if you have any more ideas just let me know...

Ian.

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:38 PM
  •  ijudd wrote:

Hi Stephen,

First of all thanks for replying so promptly. May I ask what this command actually does, do I then still have to delete via the DOS command line (god help me!) or can I then flip out to windows explorer and use that which would be far easier for me to understand and not make any mistakes!!!

You're welcome, but today I've been away from the PC all day. The command resets the permissions for the files and folders.

ijudd wrote:

PS: Do you know when the dev team are going to fix this, to put it bluntly I cant quite believe having paid good money for this product just quite how bad and what little it does.

I wish I could tell you the answer as this is indeed a serious oversight in OneCare.

ijudd wrote:

Now for a bit of a Rant! (Not directed at you Stephen - but to the world at large!!!)

I feel like I was extremely misled by the marketing!!! It doesn't even do a decent defrag just re-uses the Sh** windows default. I thought it would at least be something on a par with perfect disk or disk keeper. How wrong was I....

Does anyone have a line into the product team so we can get some serious new versions of this product developed asap. I almost feel like asking for my money back Currently its worth nothing like what Microsoft charged me for it. Just a few dollars at best to group togther a bunch of existing features they already had.

Cheers, Ian.

Rant away. :-) You can send feedback at http://feedback.live.com and select Windows Live OneCare from the list. OneCare is much more than just grouping Windows functions together. It does use Defrag and Disk Cleanup from Windows, but the rest of the Program is specific to OneCare.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:30 AM
  •  ijudd wrote:

You can already schedule within XP , disk clean-up, disk defrag & there is a free backup utility you can download and schedule. Currently Onecare feels like these three combined into a nice UI. So yes thats ok, but not worth that much. That only leaves the antivirus side that used to be free in the form of Windows Defender, but was also a seperate product.

I've paid now and my chances of getting my money back are zero, so as far as I'm concerned they have one year to make some seriously significant improvements to the backup (see any of the leading windows backup products), and the defrag (see diskkeeper or perfectdisk) for starters. Ideally this sort of product should have come with a reg cleaner aswell. If they do that within the year I will happily extend my subscription and chalk up the first year to going 'bleeding' rather than 'leading' edge

Anyone who knows the dev team please feel free to forward this on and they can use this note as there objective for the next release.

Ian.

Defender never included Antivirus capabilities, Ian. OneCare includes the malware/spyware detection of Defender, but adds to it.

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:32 AM
  •  ijudd wrote:

Hi Stephen,

In the end I got bored and just decided to try the command anyway!!! it then asked me if I was sure and when I answered "y" for yes it just said access denied

Thanks for trying, if you have any more ideas just let me know...

Ian.

Hmmm....  Are you using XP Home or Pro or Vista?

And, you can contact support for help, too, by the way.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Saturday, May 17, 2008 12:34 AM
  • In the end I used windows explorer to right click on the directory, selected the security tab and then since adding full control to 'everyone' hadn't worked previously I explictly added my actual user account and gave that all. Then I could delete via windows explorer as usual. So I 'nuked' the lot and just set off a new backup over night. Job done.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions at least I have a current backup until the disk fills again!!!!

Hopefully the dev team read this forum, I just cant be bothered to go through the feedback area as in my experience that just goes through marketing and they always live on another planet. Hence its just a waste of time and energy.

Ian.

Monday, May 19, 2008 10:19 AM
  • I hope that Marketing and Development aren't on different planets! :-) Feedback does make its way to the Program Managers. I'm glad that you were able to resolve it and thanks for adding the information on how your did.

-steve

Monday, May 19, 2008 3:31 PM