Cannot connect to hostednetwork running on Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• My home server is running Windows Home Server 2011.

Recently I connected ASUS USB-AC56 WiFi device to it. It works well when connecting to wireless networks.

Now I try to set up hostednetwork:

netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=testnet key=12345678

netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Everything seems to be started. Command "netsh wlan show hostednetwork" tells me everything is up and running, command "netsh wlan show hostednetwork security" tells me the network key is really 12345678.

The problem is: clients cannot connect. Tried from Windows Phone 8, Android device and Windows 8.1 notebook: they all can see the network, but trying to connect results in "cannot connect, invalid network key" (they tell it in my local language, not sure what is an exact english error message).

What should I do to make it work?

Sunday, April 13, 2014 6:23 PM

All replies

• I do not think the method you used is going to work, because of the way hostednetwork is secured. Please see the linked article, it shows both why this is happening and gives a method to setup correctly.

http://superuser.com/questions/345498/netsh-wireless-hosted-network-server-2008-r2-windows-7

• Proposed as answer by Ben Ogilvie Tuesday, April 15, 2014 1:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by aleyush Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:06 AM
    Monday, April 14, 2014 7:24 PM
  • I do not think the method you used is going to work, because of the way hostednetwork is secured. Please see the linked article, it shows both why this is happening and gives a method to setup correctly.

http://superuser.com/questions/345498/netsh-wireless-hosted-network-server-2008-r2-windows-7

Did you provide the correct link?

As far as I can see, there are exactly the same commands that I used with a question "can I have no network key?" and an answer "no". I am not trying to set up unprotected network, I do set the network key.

P.S. Also tried to connect using 63-character shared key shown by "netsh wlan show hostednetwork security" command - result is the same ("cannot connect, invalid network key").

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 7:05 AM
  • Hi aleyush,

Based on current situation, would you please let me know whether there has a computer with other operation systems (Windows 7 or later versions)? Please connect the Wifi device (ASUS USB-AC56 Wifi device) to that OS computer, and then use the netsh wlan command to set up again. Check if you can set up successfully, and other devices can connect to. It may help us to narrow down that this issue was caused by Wifi device or Windows Home Server side.

If this issue still persists, please let me know the original (in you local language) and complete error message that you can find.

By the way, there is an ariticle that you can refer to.

About the Wireless Hosted Network

If any update, please feel free to let me know.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Justin Gu

• Edited by Justin Gu Thursday, April 17, 2014 6:43 AM
    Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:06 AM
  • Connected the same device to my Windows 8.1 notebook. The result is... strange and unstable.

1. Just after I connected the device, Windows found some drivers from Microsoft. I set up the hosted network, "netsh wlan show hostednetwork" told me everything was up and running, but no device could see the network.

2. Then I installed drivers from the Asus web site (the same as I used on Windows Home Server). All devices could see the network, but behaved differently.

Windows phone 8: when no other devices were connected, just worked; when android phone was also connected, failed to connect.

Android phone: with windows phone connected or not, connected once in nearly 15 minutes (with different errors: cannot connect to network, cannot authenticate, cannot obtain ip address, ...).

Another Windows 8.1 notebook: could not connect at all. Error messages were "invalid network key" or just "could not connect to this network" (could not notice any rule, the exact messages in my local language are: "Неверный ключ безопасности сети. Попробуйте ещё раз." and "Не удается подключиться к этой сети").

So, the result seems to be slightly different, but also do not work. Seems to be the problem with the device itself or its drivers? How can I diagnose it?

P.S. When used as common WiFi device (with no hostednetwork), on windows 8.1 the device also works with no problem.

• Edited by aleyush Friday, April 18, 2014 7:55 PM
    Friday, April 18, 2014 7:28 PM
  • Any news on this?

How can I make it work?

Monday, May 12, 2014 5:07 AM
  • There are numerous articles, but then again there are requirements ( motherboard drivers, enabling ICS ). But, if you are still having problems, try this workaround ( http://www.connectify.me/ ), basically it automates the process.
    Friday, May 16, 2014 4:16 PM
  • There are numerous articles, but then again there are requirements ( motherboard drivers, enabling ICS ). But, if you are still having problems, try this workaround ( http://www.connectify.me/ ), basically it automates the process.

I tried this software and also Virtual Router (https://virtualrouter.codeplex.com), the result is exactly the same.

Friday, May 16, 2014 5:16 PM