none
Help! Where do I start? (Database Administration) RRS feed

• Question

• I am needing to change my skill set and learn Database Administration. From all I have talked to SQL 05 & 08 are the way to go. Problem is I have no database or programming experience at all, so where do I start?
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 6:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

First of all if you don't have any experience yet i'd surely don't recommend taking any exams yet. Start of by getting to know the product by exploring the various resources. Get hands on and do stuff on a server. That's the only way to start.

If you do want to start somewhere for certification you can take a look here:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-sql-server.aspx#tab2 

and go for 70-432

Have a look at the preparation materials and start by reading those. The following site is also a great resource to get started:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sqlserver/default.aspx

Maurice

Maurice
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Maurice, How may I contact you. What you are doing career wise is kind of how I want to go from here forward. I am going to get the MCITP on Windows 7 for now so I can continue to do desktop support while I upgrade my skillset and make a career change.  I don't want to take up the boards time here but I have some questions.
    Wednesday, November 24, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Feel free to ask all questions here. Often a lot of people have the same questions, so it can be a good idea to simply ask the questions here.

When you have no database experience so far, the training kits might be on a to high level. But there are a lot of other books available that gives you nice introductions. If you want to do the exams, I would always suggest to have some experience. So you should play around with SQL Server and try to play with all topics, that are covered in an exam. But that is quite hard, because you also need test hardware for this and such stuff.

Good luck with your training.

Konrad

Thursday, November 25, 2010 6:29 AM
    Answerer