Newbie question, building a WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I must be doing something major wrong of missing the concept. I assume that ... I feel stupid asking this but here it goes ... WHS is its own OS, right?

Here is why I say that.  I went to install it on a computer with a new hard drive and a DVD drive.  I inserted the WHS DVD to install during boot, i get the " windows is loading files ..." then the next screen is an error screen.

I get a "Windows boot manager" screen that says "windows failed to start ..." and says that it cannot find file: \windows\system32\boot\wnload.exe

Now I am feeling stupid becasue here I am thinking why is it looking for that file when it should be installing its own OS. Help!?

Thanks for helping the new guy.

Cheers,
    Pat

http://www.gomadic.com
    http://www.bastens.com
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:23 AM

Answers

•  

There are no stupid questions , just stupid answers.....so forgive me is if this is wrong or if that is not the same problem as yours.  

First off , yes it has its own OS.

I also had an error when I installed the first few times , it would stop with an error just after the second setup screen that looks like an XP setup screen , sometimes it would bluescreen just as it said it was starting windows.

I had to install a floppy drive , leave my floppy disk with my SATA controller drivers on it in the drive EVEN AFTER they already loaded on the first setup screen , the system reboots the first time and POW it automatically takes the drivers AGAIN its needs and continues to install.

hope this helps , I had to install like 6 times on a new drive.

JBB

PS: tried it with a USB flash drive the first few times and it would NOT work for me after the first reboot.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:33 AM

All replies

•  

There are no stupid questions , just stupid answers.....so forgive me is if this is wrong or if that is not the same problem as yours.  

I also had an error when I installed the first few times , it would stop with an error just after the second setup screen that looks like an XP setup screen , sometimes it would bluescreen just as it said it was starting windows.

I had to install a floppy drive , leave my floppy disk with my SATA controller drivers on it in the drive EVEN AFTER they already loaded on the first setup screen , the system reboots the first time and POW it automatically takes the drivers AGAIN its needs and continues to install.

hope this helps , I had to install like 6 times on a new drive.

JBB

PS: tried it with a USB flash drive the first few times and it would NOT work for me after the first reboot.

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:33 AM
  • I didn't see an answer to my root question ... Is WHS its own OS? Meaning, do I already have to have window XP, Vista or something already installed?

This error ocurrs after the first screen, its all black and white and I don't even get close to seeing anything that looks like a XP setup screen.

Thanks for the quick reply!
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:38 AM
  •  JimBeamBlack wrote:

I thought JimBeamBlack did say yes?

Yes, it is Windows 2003 Server, that is the foundation for WIndows Home Server. When you install WHS, you are effectivly installing Windows 2003 Server.

In the past I've had trouble installing 'over' existing operating systems; even if I said "don't upgrade" and even "delete partition" I would still somehow get artifacts of the old OS when I was done. I would end up wiping the drive with a utility first, before installing the OS.

-John

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:49 AM
  • your right, thanks john.  I will have to try again.  I am using a VIA MiniITX motherboard.  I am seeing elsewhere that this may not be an easy task because of the hardware I am using.  I will keep trying.

Cheers,
    Pat
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008 1:53 AM
  • I've had no problems installing on VIA miniITX (actuall IDOT pc2500 which is cheap VIA miniITX board with 1.5GHz C7 processor). Only thing I did was set SATA controller to run in IDE mode since WHS would not accept drivers during text mode install (probably some wrong reference in txtsetup.oem or some error I made). Running SATA disks in IDE mode has only minor impact on performance for day to day tasks.

Other things that may help is using different DVD drive or connect DVD drive to different port (IDE)

Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:18 PM
  • Update ...

I wanted to let everyone know that I had no luck installing WHS on my VIA EPIA 800, I know it was only 800MHz but I thought it would have been a good start to experiment with.  The moral of the story is WHS is not compatible with this motherboard.  So I got a standard Intel processor motherboard and had no problems installing it.

Now I am running a test of backing up a PC and try an restor it on a new hard drive ... so far no luck, the restore CD hangs and doesn't start the restore process Sad

I will say that so far the other functions of WHS are working, it is backing up files and I can retreive files.  I am doubting the abilities to consistantly restore on any computer.  I will have to start a new threw about this subject but I will keep you posted in hopes to help others know which motherboards work with WHS.

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 3:18 PM