XP pro will not let me use my CD and DVD rom RRS feed

• Question

• I am hoping this is the correct place to ask the question, if not maybe someone can help.

Basically I moved a couple months back and when I set up my computer after moving I can't use my internal CD or DVD drives anymore. I have no idea why, I use XP pro, and it recognizes each drive as being there when I go to my system information but has one of those yellow caution signs.

I thought I knocked something loose so I bought a new external DVD burner that hooks to my usb and sure enough the same thing happened! It sees the device and says its name but it doesn't allow me to use it. I bought a new hard drive at the same time and it works fine and I tested the DVD burner on my laptop and it was okay.

Can anyone give me advice on what I can do? I really need these drives to work so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Michael
    Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:24 PM

Answers

• Sorry, but the focus of this forum is not troubleshooting issues with hardware.  Please repost your question in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:17 PM
  • MGA,

Carey is right please post your question in the other forum. Also did you try more than one USB port for the external drive which you purchased?  Also if you have another PC try switching a drive into that system for test purposes. Another possible solution would be is to reformat the PC but that will take time. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Oh sorry! Yes I did try different USB ports as well as plugged it into my laptop and it worked fine there.

Okay I will post on the other forum.

Thank you,

Michael
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:04 PM

All replies

• Sorry, but the focus of this forum is not troubleshooting issues with hardware.  Please repost your question in the Windows XP newsgroup: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:17 PM
  • MGA,

Carey is right please post your question in the other forum. Also did you try more than one USB port for the external drive which you purchased?  Also if you have another PC try switching a drive into that system for test purposes. Another possible solution would be is to reformat the PC but that will take time. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:57 PM
  • Oh sorry! Yes I did try different USB ports as well as plugged it into my laptop and it worked fine there.

Okay I will post on the other forum.

Thank you,

Michael
    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:04 PM