none
MS Money closes immediately after start-up - Help greatly appreciated! RRS feed

• Question

• Microsoft Money has stopped working on my laptop. When I click on the icon to start it, the program starts with the 'splash' screen, them immediately shuts down.  This seems to have happened after I did a large batch of Windows updates. It was working fine previously.

I was running Money 2004, but after some research on-line, I decided to download and install the 2005 'Sunset' UK edition. exactly the same happens: it starts by asking me to accept he T&Cs, then immediately closes. I've tried reinstalling to no avail; same thing happens.

I'm running on an Acer notebook, with Windows 7 Starter Edition.  All other software is working fine. I don't have access to my Money 2004 disc, as I'm travelling, and really need to get money working to capture my finances!

I've tried other things I've seen suggested, such as removing the sample money file from the Program Files folder, but no difference.  there's no complex software on this machine, and anti-virus is MS Security Essentials.

Thanks for reading this.  if you know how to solve the problem, please let me know!

Thursday, January 1, 2015 3:08 AM

All replies

• An update:

I found the post referring to the fault in mnyob99.dll, and the need to replace it with a patched version.  This I did, though the patched version had increased in size to 9,306KB from the original 8,927KB. Now, when I run MS Money, I get an error message: "The program can't start because UTLSRF08.DLL is missing; try reinstalling the program".  This of course comes back to the original fault.

Does this mean anything to anyone out there?

Thursday, January 1, 2015 3:59 AM
  • Part of the following may not apply to Money 2005 UK. Let us know what happens.

Copy Sample.mny from your install folder (typically C:\Program
    Files\Microsoft Money Plus\ ) to your Documents folder.  Open Money
    by right-clicking that copy of sample.mny and choose Open.  Migrate
    to the Portfolio.  Does it display?  If not, the problem is
    probably with your installation.

If Sample.mny works correctly, your installation is probably
    OK. While in Sample.mny, go to Tools->Settings->ProgramSettings and set the
    (GeneralDisplay:)StartMoneyWithThisPageOpen:AccountList

Open the problem file a time two.  Does that file open now?  If so,
    go to Tools->Settings->HomePageDisplayOptions and Remove the
    Investment Performance module.  There has been a problem where a
    lot of investments triggers a crash upon opening where Money opens
    to the "Home Page".

If Sample.mny does not open successfully, then there would be a problem
    with your Money installation or your Windows settings.

Thursday, January 1, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Thanks for your reply - and Happy New Year!

I'd already tried your suggestion based on what I'd read on the forum.  But uninstalled/reinstalled Money and tried again.  The opening screen re transaction downloads appears, clicked OK, and the program immediately closed after a very brief flash (< .5 sec) of the Money home screen.  This happens every time; I'm not even presented with any options to select anything.

I'm guessing that it's a problem with my Windows, rather than MS Money, as it started after a big Windows update.  Came across some references to update KB2758857 causing similar problems, and deleting it in some cases seems to cure the issue.  I can't see that among all the Windows updates, and wonder if it's an XP only update? (I'm running Windows 7 Starter).

If it's a Windows issue rather than Money, is there a forum you can point me to that might be able to help?

Appreciate your support.

B.

Friday, January 2, 2015 10:16 AM