Possible to install WHS-console only? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

Is it possible to install the WSH console on a client without installing the rest, e.g. backup and shared-folders features?

I want to administer the WSH from a client which I don't want to install the Connector software.

Thank you!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:05 PM

Answers

• If you want to administer WHS from a PC without the connector, you can use Remote Desktop to connect to the server. Just about all the "Console" on a client PC is is a Remote Desktop session that's locked to the console application on the server anyway. (There's some minor additional functionality that you probably don't care about in this application.)
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:16 PM

All replies

• If you want to administer WHS from a PC without the connector, you can use Remote Desktop to connect to the server. Just about all the "Console" on a client PC is is a Remote Desktop session that's locked to the console application on the server anyway. (There's some minor additional functionality that you probably don't care about in this application.)
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Sure, I could use RDP and I use it. But I thought a WHS-administer-console-only would also be possible :-)

Thanks anyway!

Tuesday, May 29, 2007 8:40 PM
  • Well, you could tell WHS not to back up that machine and delete the shortcut to the shared folders Smile
    Tuesday, May 29, 2007 10:00 PM
  •  jeutix wrote:

Sure, I could use RDP and I use it. But I thought a WHS-administer-console-only would also be possible :-)

Thanks anyway!

It's possible to use the console from that PC but you would not actually be installing it. If you use that PC to log onto the WHS website, go to the Computers Tab and choose "Connect to your home server" this will open the copy of the console software that is on the server. giving you the complete functionality of the Console.

If you dont want to go through the website just make an RDP connection and set it to run the console on the server upon connection. Save this config as Console.rdp and save it to your desktop and youll be good to go

Rex Geissinger 

Wednesday, May 30, 2007 6:31 PM