Homer server does not recognize your user account RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting the pop up at the bottom of one of my laptops (all other computers work ok) at start up that "home server does not recognize your user account". I have double checked and the user name on the laptop nad thWHS is identical. Anyone have any ideas?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 5:23 PM

Answers

• Everything is the same. The log on name and password on the client are the same as on the server, exactly. I do have the administrator account activated on the client (vista). The server was recognizing the client before with the same set up.  

First, please make sure you follow Ken's FAQ: How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested.  Once you've done that, if it still doesn't work, what did you change recently (since it worked before, obviously something has changed)?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:30 PM

All replies

• Possibly the displayed username is different from the actual logon name. To check on the client do Start, Run, type control userpasswords2 and Hit Enter.

Friday, June 5, 2009 6:48 PM
  • Everything is the same. The log on name and password on the client are the same as on the server, exactly. I do have the administrator account activated on the client (vista). The server was recognizing the client before with the same set up.  

Friday, June 5, 2009 8:59 PM

First, please make sure you follow Ken's FAQ: How to fix share access issues where user name and password are requested.  Once you've done that, if it still doesn't work, what did you change recently (since it worked before, obviously something has changed)?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:30 PM
  • This was the problem. I transposed two letters in the user name. However, I changed it in 'control userpasswords2' but at the DOS promt it still showes the transposed letters. I have restarted a few times and double checked 'control userpasswords2', and it is now correct, but is still is wrong on the DOS window. How do I change it?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 2:12 PM
  • This was the problem. I transposed two letters in the user name. However, I changed it in 'control userpasswords2' but at the DOS promt it still showes the transposed letters. I have restarted a few times and double checked 'control userpasswords2', and it is now correct, but is still is wrong on the DOS window. How do I change it?

Are you sure you changed the User Name (not the Full Name)?
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 4:10 PM

In the DOS window you only see the profile folder name, which was created during the account creation. If you rename a user account, this folder will not be renamed - and it doesn't matter besides for the nice look.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:10 PM
  • In the DOS window you only see the profile folder name, which was created during the account creation. If you rename a user account, this folder will not be renamed - and it doesn't matter besides for the nice look.

Olaf

That's not correct, Olaf.  Once you change your User Name through "control userpasswords2" (and log off then log on again), you will see the updated User Name through the command prompt when you type "echo %username%".  (But, as you said, the folder name stays the same.)
    Sunday, June 7, 2009 10:43 PM
  • Yes, that a command shows the proper name is clear. But the OP did not refer to any command, so I assume, he means the home directory, which is shown as default folder if opening the command prompt.
    Olaf
    Monday, June 8, 2009 7:23 AM
  • Yes, that a command shows the proper name is clear. But the OP did not refer to any command, so I assume, he means the home directory, which is shown as default folder if opening the command prompt.
    Olaf

Ahhh, now I understand what you're referring to.  Sorry, my bad.... :)  Besides, I completely forgot about that (I never run a command prompt as a non-admin anyway.... :)  )
    Tuesday, June 9, 2009 3:58 AM