locked
HP ML 310 w/ LSI SAS Controller RRS feed

  • Question

  • Any suggestion on how to install WHS on a HP ML 310 G4 (2 250GB SATA HDs) w/ an LSI SAS controller (RAID disabled) ? I have been able to successfully instal W2K3 R2 but I whne I attempt to use the same drivers w/ WHS it does not recognize the HDs !!!

     

    THANK You...

    Sunday, July 29, 2007 4:18 PM

Answers

  • I was able to resolve the problem by:

    1) Disabling the LSI SAS HBA controller

    2) the ML 310 G4 has an on-board SATA controller which I enabled

    3) Moved the drives to the Intel Controller

    4) Installed WHS w/o any problems

    5) I re-enabled the LSI SAS controller and installed the drivers from the USB drive using the control panel/system

    6) Disabled the Intel controller and moved the drives to LSI SAS

    7) WHS started w/o any problems !!! I am using the same drivers that I tried to install when WinPE was prompting me...

     

    THNX for your suggestions.

     

     

    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:17 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    The web site for that controller do not have drivers for win 2003 server you could use with F6?

    Also, some reporting, using xp drivers solve the issue, if the win 2003 did not work.

    My best
    Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:09 PM
  •  hazos wrote:

    Any suggestion on how to install WHS on a HP ML 310 G4 (2 250GB SATA HDs) w/ an LSI SAS controller (RAID disabled) ? I have been able to successfully instal W2K3 R2 but I whne I attempt to use the same drivers w/ WHS it does not recognize the HDs !!!

     

    THANK You...



    Which part of the install isn't picking up the drives? The first part, during the WinPE part of the install or after, during the textmode setup, using the F6 prompt? There are two places that may you have to provide drivers. Also make sure you have the latest BIOS from HP for the ML310.


    Good luck...

    Sunday, July 29, 2007 6:25 PM
  • WHS gives me the opportunity to load the drivers off a USB stick...Using the same drivers that I used to install Windows 2003 R2 are rejected indicating that WHS cannot find any supported storage devices !!! BTW, the drivers I used drivers from LSI Logic and HP w/ the same result...I will try the XP version and report.

     

    Thank you for your response...

    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:32 AM
  •  hazos wrote:

    WHS gives me the opportunity to load the drivers off a USB stick...Using the same drivers that I used to install Windows 2003 R2 are rejected indicating that WHS cannot find any supported storage devices !!! BTW, the drivers I used drivers from LSI Logic and HP w/ the same result...I will try the XP version and report.

     

    Thank you for your response...



    Some servers have issues loading drivers from a USB flash drive, use a floppy and hit F6, instead.
    Monday, July 30, 2007 3:40 AM
  • When I boot from my DVD (have checked CRC, etc) I see:

    1)Windows is loading files...Then I see a Vista-esque loading bar
    2)Then a setup screen with the WHS setup background (again vista-esque) and a small gray box saying Setup is initalizing...
    3)After that, I see an error box with a title "Windows Home Server Setup Error" saying "Hard drive capable of hosting   Windows Home Server was not found. Would you like to load additional storage drivers?" with a yes/no
    3)I click yes and direct it to my flash drive where it locates the proper drive but fails to load the selected driver !!!

       I never see the text mode portion of the install !!!

    4)I installed a floppy drive but I still I am not given the option to press F6; I tried loading the same drivers from the floppy and I get the same results...

     

    Monday, July 30, 2007 1:19 PM
  •  hazos wrote:

    When I boot from my DVD (have checked CRC, etc) I see:

    1)Windows is loading files...Then I see a Vista-esque loading bar
    2)Then a setup screen with the WHS setup background (again vista-esque) and a small gray box saying Setup is initalizing...
    3)After that, I see an error box with a title "Windows Home Server Setup Error" saying "Hard drive capable of hosting   Windows Home Server was not found. Would you like to load additional storage drivers?" with a yes/no
    3)I click yes and direct it to my flash drive where it locates the proper drive but fails to load the selected driver !!!

       I never see the text mode portion of the install !!!

    4)I installed a floppy drive but I still I am not given the option to press F6; I tried loading the same drivers from the floppy and I get the same results...

     


    If it fails to load the driver during the WinPE portion of the setup, then you may have the wrong driver. Did you check for a newer BIOS and check storage setting in the BIOS?

    You're not given the option, after, because you have the flash drive in, remove it and
    ONLY use the floppy for your storage drivers untill after the textmode setup is complete. Then you can use the flashdrive for other drivers.


    Monday, July 30, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I was able to resolve the problem by:

    1) Disabling the LSI SAS HBA controller

    2) the ML 310 G4 has an on-board SATA controller which I enabled

    3) Moved the drives to the Intel Controller

    4) Installed WHS w/o any problems

    5) I re-enabled the LSI SAS controller and installed the drivers from the USB drive using the control panel/system

    6) Disabled the Intel controller and moved the drives to LSI SAS

    7) WHS started w/o any problems !!! I am using the same drivers that I tried to install when WinPE was prompting me...

     

    THNX for your suggestions.

     

     

    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:17 PM
  •  hazos wrote:

    I was able to resolve the problem by:

    1) Disabling the LSI SAS HBA controller

    2) the ML 310 G4 has an on-board SATA controller which I enabled

    3) Moved the drives to the Intel Controller

    4) Installed WHS w/o any problems

    5) I re-enabled the LSI SAS controller and installed the drivers from the USB drive using the control panel/system

    6) Disabled the Intel controller and moved the drives to LSI SAS

    7) WHS started w/o any problems !!! I am using the same drivers that I tried to install when WinPE was prompting me...

     

    THNX for your suggestions.

     

     



    Like I siad, BIOS or settings. Glad you got it working, now for updates and configuration. Wink
    Monday, July 30, 2007 7:28 PM