OneCare Beta is not up to par RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

Hi guys,

I'm an old school professor that keep up to date in technology.  The new OneCare Beta has new nice features but they need to work first.  As an example: Backups - I have an external dreive for sensitive data, and another external for backup. OneCare Backup doen not allow the backup of the external drive.  Second, it would be nice to display the actual files that are going to be backup (on request).  The option for a new backup set for the same drive does not work, always goes back and just backup the most recent changes intead of a complete backup.  

If you want a software easy to use, to simplified the day to day operations, don't you think that is an overkill to have us calling every where to find a solution for ourself.   We do not get pay and in most cases not even got the sofware free license after all our hard work.   I do not want to discourage anyone, but how many of you had suffered a system crash testing alfa and beta realeases.  I guess that the answer is everybody....right?

Well, I would like to hear your thoughs in the subject.

Sincerely,

jjvarona

Sunday, September 9, 2007 3:28 PM

All replies

• Thanks for using OneCare backup and providing us feedback.

Currently we do not allow external drive backup, however we do hear you and need to be considered in future version.

We want the backup to be very smooth, once set it needs to run automatically and not bother the user. If you want to see the files you can by clicking on Start backup in the OneCare main screen. It first ask you for new full backup or just the changes. once you made your selection it scans and you can see the files by category which are marked for backup.

About the system crash, we do our best to make sure that users machines are not crashed. We are eager to listen to  the users.

Monday, September 10, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Hi Sundar,

I've contacted the Support and submitted a bug file regarding the " can't save back up and tune up" issues.

It's been during for weeks now. I desinstalled WLOC 2, I got the clean tool run, I reinstalled WLOC2, but I can't save the back up and Tune up settings

How can I fix that?

Thanks for replying

Ben

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:45 PM
  • Sundar,

What do you mean by " we do not allow external back up" ?

My back up is done to an external hard drive !!!

Thanks for replying

Ben

Monday, September 10, 2007 3:47 PM
  •  BENBXL wrote:

Sundar,

What do you mean by " we do not allow external back up" ?

My back up is done to an external hard drive !!!

Thanks for replying

Ben

What this means, Ben, is that data stored on an external drive cannot be selected to be backed up during the OneCare backup. So, if you stored all of your MP3 files, for example, on an external USB drive in a folder called \MP3s, OneCare would not see this folder or the files in it when it searches for files to be backed up. And, you cannot add the external drive/folder to the files *to be* backed up.

-steve

Monday, September 10, 2007 4:15 PM
  • Hi Benbxl,

We reviewed the support log you sent and requested you for some more information through separate email. We appreciate your support.

Sundar

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:15 PM
  • Hi Sundar,

Thanks for replying.

I hope that the " can't save Back up and Tune up" issue will be fixed by your team. It's quite boring, I had to uninstall WLOC, reinstalled a lot of times...

There may be a bug, because this is new to this build.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Sincerely,

Ben

Tuesday, September 11, 2007 12:21 PM
  •  

Hi Sundar,

Have you some news for me?

The " can't save back up and tune up settings" issue persists.

I assume that you've received my One Care Support Date to investigate the case.

Thanks for replying.

Ben.

Wednesday, September 12, 2007 9:18 AM
  • Hi Ben,

We got the support data and analyzing it. Meantime will you please confirm did you create support log immediately after the error? Also please let me know what is the error message you are getting.

Thanks,

Sundar

Thursday, September 13, 2007 12:32 PM
  • Hi Sundar,

I confirm that I created the support log immediately after the error.

I've no error message mentionned on my screen, I can only see on the Windows Live One Care main page that my back up and tune up changes have not been saved.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Ben

Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:10 PM