No WHS console RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

For a couple of days I have not been able to use the WHS console.  If I connect from a client on the network, after putting in the password, I get the message: "This computer has lost connection to your home server.  Check your network connection..." a few seconds later.  I can remote desktop to the WHS from the network but can't even launch the console from the WHS desktop.

It still works fine as a file server and backups still seem to be running.

Has anyone got an idea of how to resolve this?  I'm using an OEM copy.

I'm on the verge of just reinstalling the OS this weekend in the hope of fixing this and actually getting some of the WHS-specific updates!  

Thanks.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 10:43 AM

Answers

• Thanks for your suggestions Colin.

From the event logs, every time I tried to launch the console I was getting a .NET 2 runtime error relating to homeserverconsole.exe.  Reinstalling .NET and the connector did not reslove it.

Anyway, I decided to rebuild the server over the weekend and have finally got all the WHS updates since September which had, until now, eluded me!

Thanks again.

Ewan
    Monday, December 17, 2007 11:26 AM

All replies

• Have you tried rebooting the WHS box? Also check the event logs on the WHS for possible clues when you try to access the console.

Friday, December 14, 2007 2:19 PM
  • Yes, I've rebooted the server several times.  I'll be checking the logs tonight - I've not had a chance yet.  Thanks.
    Friday, December 14, 2007 2:30 PM
  • You could try running Discovery.exe from the Windows Home Server folder on the client machine, this would search the network for the server. Also, have you tried resetting the Console on the client? This is accessed by selecting the Options menu, underneath the password box on the Console screen.

Colin

Friday, December 14, 2007 6:05 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions Colin.

From the event logs, every time I tried to launch the console I was getting a .NET 2 runtime error relating to homeserverconsole.exe.  Reinstalling .NET and the connector did not reslove it.

Anyway, I decided to rebuild the server over the weekend and have finally got all the WHS updates since September which had, until now, eluded me!

Thanks again.

Ewan
    Monday, December 17, 2007 11:26 AM
  •  DHCP from the router caused this mentioned error for me.  Switched DHCP to run off a 2k server and all is well.  Wins and proper DNS are your friends.
    Staple Bench Computers
    Thursday, September 4, 2008 10:02 AM
  •  

OpenDNS was and still is a cause of problems for WHS console connections.  OpenDNS will forward any thing you throw at them.  Use their DNS servers and see what you get if you ping kljsdfljasdklj09809384.com or randommomjokehere.com Not sure why connecting to the console should warrant outside authentication but it seems like it does.  Once my internal DNS server stopped forwarding to OpenDNS my console availability went back to 99.999%.

Staple Bench Computers
    Wednesday, October 8, 2008 10:48 AM
  • I had same problem. Then I thought, why not use the hosts file. So I added my WHS IP and hostname in to that file and I was able to connect again and still use OpenDNS. But I use my IPCop as primary DNS. Hope that heps for you too. /PLAJan
    • Proposed as answer by PLAJan Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:47 AM
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:46 AM