Windows xp RRS feed

• Question

• Windows xp will not accept my product key and i am unable to access my pc. IT keeps saying wrong key i just dont know what to do, please help me. Thanks
    Monday, July 2, 2007 1:15 PM

Answers

• Sharon007,

Please explain the circumstances...what happened that it is asking for your Product Key?

What make and exact model of computer is it?

Also, please look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Hi thanks for getting back to me, I was Downloading a driver from the internet for my dvd player all of a sudden my whole pc went of then it rebooted and would not load my windows it just kept going to a blue screen and going off and I wasn't even able to see what the blue sceen said.  So silly me thaught i would reload the xp disk but instead I wiped my pc and had to reload the xp but it just wont except my product key.  Now i cant even use the pc this is my laptop I even thaught i might be able to connect my laptop to the pc and send xp that way but I am not sure if I can do that?

Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Sharon007,

We still need this info to help you:

Also, please look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer or with your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or another version of Windows?

Not sure what to look for?  See this page for reference:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

We also need to know about the XP CD you are using to try to install XP on the computer.  This web site http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/default.aspx?displaylang=en will help you identify the XP CD you have.  Its most likely that you'll find the CD by choosing one of the two puchase methods listed under "Select your purchase method to compare features," either "Purchased preinstalled on or with computer," or "Purchased retail as an individually boxed product."

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Sharon,

As Dan indicated we really need the diagnostic report results. Without this information we can not analyze your particular situation. Also you mentioned problems with the product key.  This forum has a pinned entry how to change products:  Changing your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA.   It is at the top of all the posts. Do you have all your original software which came with your laptop when you purchased it? If you don't have all the original media restoration discs then maybe you need to contact technicial support and request the original restoration media discs.  

Please post in this thread your diag results.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Hi I did email you yesterday but you dont seem to have received it as I have had no reply.   My pc is an AMD Athon 1700+ my operating system is windows xp before that it was 2000 and windows 98.  My pc is regerstered to me sharon shepherd HOME. I was downloading a driver for my dvd and my pc crashed and i couldnt start windows xp which eas puton by the man in the computer shop which is now shut down. When the man put xp on the lasttime i had to get it fixed he never gave me no disk or validation / product key, \and at the time  i didnt know that you needed the product key  and a regestered windows xp disk. Its only now that the pc crashed and the shop has shut down that i have had to look for information on how to fix this problem I am very upset and angry about this as i feel i have been ripped off. Sharon.x
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Sharon007,

If your computer has no OEM Certificate of Authenticity label affixed to it, and you do not have a retail package with a retail Certificate of Authenticty and a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP CD, then it's a almost a certainty that you do not have a genuine Windows XP installation on your computer.

If you want to Get Genuine, you will have to wait until your computer is running again.  Once its up and running, you can follow the Get Genuine prompts to see an evaluation of the installation of XP on the computer, and assuming it is a nongenuine installation, you will be presented with all of the options available in order to Get Genuine.

To get help getting your computer up and running again, may I suggest posting in a general windows xp help forum such as http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp  or http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx ?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Sharon,

We are sorry to hear about the situation you are experiencing with the computer and store no longer in business.  As Dan indicated you can follow the instructions for getting genuine. Also you may submit a piracy report. In the future we really need the diag report posted here so we may provide assistance.  Without this information we can not troubleshoot the exact problem.  Post back if you want us to help.

Take care

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:52 PM

All replies

• Sharon007,

Please explain the circumstances...what happened that it is asking for your Product Key?

Monday, July 2, 2007 2:05 PM
  • Hi thanks for getting back to me, I was Downloading a driver from the internet for my dvd player all of a sudden my whole pc went of then it rebooted and would not load my windows it just kept going to a blue screen and going off and I wasn't even able to see what the blue sceen said.  So silly me thaught i would reload the xp disk but instead I wiped my pc and had to reload the xp but it just wont except my product key.  Now i cant even use the pc this is my laptop I even thaught i might be able to connect my laptop to the pc and send xp that way but I am not sure if I can do that?

Sunday, July 8, 2007 7:51 AM
  • Sharon007,

We still need this info to help you:

We also need to know about the XP CD you are using to try to install XP on the computer.  This web site http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/windows/default.aspx?displaylang=en will help you identify the XP CD you have.  Its most likely that you'll find the CD by choosing one of the two puchase methods listed under "Select your purchase method to compare features," either "Purchased preinstalled on or with computer," or "Purchased retail as an individually boxed product."

Monday, July 9, 2007 1:09 PM
  • Sharon,

As Dan indicated we really need the diagnostic report results. Without this information we can not analyze your particular situation. Also you mentioned problems with the product key.  This forum has a pinned entry how to change products:  Changing your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA.   It is at the top of all the posts. Do you have all your original software which came with your laptop when you purchased it? If you don't have all the original media restoration discs then maybe you need to contact technicial support and request the original restoration media discs.  

Please post in this thread your diag results.  Thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 12:40 AM
  • Hi I did email you yesterday but you dont seem to have received it as I have had no reply.   My pc is an AMD Athon 1700+ my operating system is windows xp before that it was 2000 and windows 98.  My pc is regerstered to me sharon shepherd HOME. I was downloading a driver for my dvd and my pc crashed and i couldnt start windows xp which eas puton by the man in the computer shop which is now shut down. When the man put xp on the lasttime i had to get it fixed he never gave me no disk or validation / product key, \and at the time  i didnt know that you needed the product key  and a regestered windows xp disk. Its only now that the pc crashed and the shop has shut down that i have had to look for information on how to fix this problem I am very upset and angry about this as i feel i have been ripped off. Sharon.x
    Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:20 PM
  • Sharon007,

If your computer has no OEM Certificate of Authenticity label affixed to it, and you do not have a retail package with a retail Certificate of Authenticty and a genuine Microsoft hologrammed XP CD, then it's a almost a certainty that you do not have a genuine Windows XP installation on your computer.

If you want to Get Genuine, you will have to wait until your computer is running again.  Once its up and running, you can follow the Get Genuine prompts to see an evaluation of the installation of XP on the computer, and assuming it is a nongenuine installation, you will be presented with all of the options available in order to Get Genuine.

To get help getting your computer up and running again, may I suggest posting in a general windows xp help forum such as http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp  or http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/default.mspx ?

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:31 PM
  • Sharon,

We are sorry to hear about the situation you are experiencing with the computer and store no longer in business.  As Dan indicated you can follow the instructions for getting genuine. Also you may submit a piracy report. In the future we really need the diag report posted here so we may provide assistance.  Without this information we can not troubleshoot the exact problem.  Post back if you want us to help.

Take care

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 10:52 PM