Running firewire as the network instead of Ethernet? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy all, 

Just wanted to know if it can be done and anyone has tried it?

I would much prefer to run my Server on a firewire network as my ethernet network is rather slow!

Thanks in advance.

Thorn

Sunday, June 3, 2007 3:19 PM

All replies

• Thorn,

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I'm curious why you want to use Firewire networking.  Seems to me that it is quite limited compared to gigabit Ethernet:

• Point-to-point topography.  Requires repeaters.
    • 400 mbps speed
    • 15 feet cable limits
    • No inexpensive switches
    • Poor software support

Seems like nothing but trouble to me with no benefits.

Sunday, June 3, 2007 6:21 PM
  • I would agree with Murman99, WHY???

Firewire is great for everything except networking.

You can network with a 1000Base network and be a little over twice as fast.

Network topology and standards will definatly make ethernet more efficient then firewire.  Running a 1000Base instead of 100Base would be a lot more productive and make more since then a direct firewire connection.

Now, is it possible to use firewire, Sure!!! it is just another device type.  Make sure that it has an IP and a connection to whatever you are connecting it to.

Good Luck!

JCM

Sunday, June 3, 2007 7:45 PM
  • The answer tyo your question is only one of my systems have a Gigabit ethernet connection. And I am running an old (Netgear RP114) router which doe3sn't support a gigabit network. I don't currently have the funds to upgrade the mobos in 3 PC's including the server.

So running firewire as a network would be inexpensive for me as I already have the firewire cards & the PC's are no more than 3 feet from the server!

Thorn

P.S. Thankyou JCM

Monday, June 4, 2007 9:46 AM
  • One more fairly low-cost alternative to consider would be add gigabit cards to those 3 systems and put a gigabit switch with an uplink to your router. You'll need one ethernet cable in addition to what you're already using.

Cost:

3xgigabit cards - $90

1xgigabit switch - $30

1xcat5e cable - $5

Not having to fight with firewire networking incompatibilities the rest of your life - $priceless.

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 5:22 PM
  •  I was using a firewire network to share media between my PC's when I was running XP, it was great! So much quicker than my LAN which was only used for

internet sharing.

Thorn

Tuesday, June 5, 2007 11:49 PM
  • This is exactly what I have done utilising pci gigabit cards and a Netgear 4 port gigabit switch which works great for the wired pc's in my setup. Going to add Zyxel powerlines once RC1 is out to cover the wireless machines. Not 1gb for those machines sadly, but hopefully a fairly consistent 85mbps.
    Friday, June 8, 2007 10:27 AM