User Profile Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to this forum so I hope that I am posting in the right place, please forgive me if not...

I have recently upgraded 2 laptops to Windows 7 and have a desktop running Windows 7. On one of the Laptops, during the initial load of the OS, I used my full name as the user instead of just my first name. Once the computer was up and running I went in and changed the user name to just my first name. As I am sure you know, this caused multiple issues in networking because it didn't change the profile name. So, I created a new profile with just my first name, moved my files into the new user and deleted the one with my full name. Now, this laptop (Laptop 1) can access every computer in the house and the server. Files are being shared and no additional credentials are being requested. However, the Laptop that I did correctly (Laptop 2), cannot access Laptop 1 on the network.

I went into the Credentials Manager and saw that it was trying to log on to the profile with the whole name. I deleted those credentials and put in the new ones, but I am still not able to access the folders on Laptop 1 from Laptop 2. When I click on Laptop 1 from My Computer in Laptop 2 I am asked for a user name and password. My user name, password, and homegroup password are the same on all my computers. I have checked a double checked. I have a Guest account turned on all 3 computers, with no password. I also have an Administrator account on all 3 computers, passwords are the same, but user names are different.

As you can see, this profile issue is causing havoc on my network and all 3 computers MUST be able to access each others files. Is there anything I can do to completely get rid of the profile with my entire name on it and correct this issue? Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is to do an install on Laptop 1 and start from scratch.

Any help is appreciated... Thank you in advance.

• Moved by Jim Groves Thursday, February 17, 2011 12:55 AM (From:Rights Management Services)
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 7:37 PM

Answers

• Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems. I know from personal experience how frustrating these kinds of problems can be.

However, this forum is specifically intended to answer questions and answers pertaining to Rights Management Services in Windows Server. It's not a general security forum.

You'll probably get a better answer if you post your question in the Windows 7 Security forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/threads

Jim Groves Sr. Technical Writer, Server & Cloud Division, Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Jim Groves Friday, February 4, 2011 6:13 PM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• By the way... I have tried removing the Guest Account and Turning Off Password Protected Sharing. Neither of these things worked.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 9:09 PM
  • Hi, sorry to hear you're having problems. I know from personal experience how frustrating these kinds of problems can be.

However, this forum is specifically intended to answer questions and answers pertaining to Rights Management Services in Windows Server. It's not a general security forum.

You'll probably get a better answer if you post your question in the Windows 7 Security forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/threads

Jim Groves Sr. Technical Writer, Server & Cloud Division, Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Jim Groves Friday, February 4, 2011 6:13 PM
    Friday, February 4, 2011 6:10 PM
  • Thanks Jim, I will do that.
    Monday, February 7, 2011 5:28 AM