Cannot connect to server - Connector software will not install/uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS for a few days okay - all backups & shares doing fine. I rebooted the server today and now neither laptop can see the server. I've tried to uninstall the Connector software from my laptop but it refuses to go - though it seems to go through the motions. (On reboot WHS Connector immediately restarts telling me that WHS is not found.) I cannot re-install Connector as I get stuck at the searching screen, which eventually tells me it can't find the server.

I can solve this if I log-on to the server directly, connecting screen & keyboard, but when I reboot the server to disconnect these, the clients can't find the server again. Now, of course, if I want to reconnect the screen & keyboard I only have the option to crash the server - by disconnecting power or turning off from the mains - but I hate doing this as it's bound to cause a serious problem eventually...

So: why won't the Connector software uninstall? And how on earth can I re-establish connection without connecting the screen & keyboard again? (Resetting the Connector software has never been any use at all.) Note that our laptops are Vista (Business & Home Premium) with all updates and, up until yesterday, WHS & Connector where running Pack 3 with all updates.

I'm right chugged-off.

Cheers,

Chris
    Wednesday, January 6, 2010 11:26 AM

Answers

• The configuration looks ok - maybe you should check the network configuration of the client. In network properties (or on network adapter configuration or something similar, depending from your OS) click Advanced/Advanced Settings and verify, that your LAN connection is the primary connection in the sequence, and not Bluetooth or something else.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:14 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:39 AM

All replies

• The root of this seems to be a 'Name resolution failed' error. I've tried disconnecting the router from the internet & rebooting it, but still the laptops cannot see the server.

[>nslookup server] shows the IP address as 192.168.0.1.53 (which seems okay?!) but that 'server' is a 'non-existant domain'. I imagine sorting out the name resolution will sort this too, but who knows?

Still searching...

Cheers,

Chris

Thursday, January 7, 2010 10:07 AM
  • Can you reboot the server another time? Sometimes, if WHS related updates have been applied, I experienced some services not running after that on the server. May be, this is the cause in your situation as well.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 11:20 AM
  • Hi Olaf - thanks for your reply.

No luck - I've connected the screen again (after crashing the server, again) and rebooted twice. Having disconnected the screen, the laptops cannot see the server again - so I can't ping 'server' or it's IP address. Note that when I'm logged onto the server directly, I can access the server via the clients, but not unless I am logged on at the server (too).

Grrrrr!

Don't give up on me Olaf!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. Why does the Connector/Console software refuse to uninstall?
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:34 PM
  • For uninstalling you could try msicuu. This should enable you to remove the Windows installer related entries for this software on the client (assuming it is listed under add/remove programs). After that remove the Windows Home Server key in HKLM\Software\Microsoft and delete the Windows Home Server folder in C:\Program Files.
    Did you have modified the hosts file on the clients at any time, and the server changed it's IP address after, so that the hosts file now points to a wrong address?
    You might also read through the FAQ How to Troubleshoot Network Connection Problems with Windows Home Server.

Olaf

Thursday, January 7, 2010 12:55 PM
  • Hi again, Olaf - and thanks.

I did try to add the server IP to the hosts file (on one laptop) but it wouldn't let me save it - which I was happy with as I have no real idea what I was doing there! I'm fairly sure the server's IP address has always been x.x.x.x.53.

I've been through every connection thread I can find here, including the one you mention, as well as quite a detailed one here: http://blogs.msdn.com/eldar/archive/2007/04/28/windows-home-server-client-join-troubleshoooting-hints.aspx, which is where I got the nslookup thing from. Nothing has helped, however.

Now I've crashed the server yet again so I could re-attach the screen, etc. and logged on. Both laptops are now reporting 'Network is healthy'. I have risked logging off the server (but not shutting down) and everything is still kosher. I also did nslookup again and, even though everything is working, it's showing the same IP and 'non-existant domain'. I have no idea what this means...

At the moment my little server is running with screen, keyboard & mouse attached but I have logged off and turned the screen off. As long as I don't turn off the server, I'll be fine. (But if it does an update during the night and needs to restart, I'm stuffed again.)

I have not run MS Clean-up because I don't believe that's the problem as it's been happening since the very first connection last week, but I will if necessary.

Anyway, if you have any more ideas, Olaf, I'd be most appreciative.

Thanks again,

Chris
    Thursday, January 7, 2010 4:17 PM
  • Hi,
    you know, how to open notepad AS ADMINISTRATOR? Do that, and edit the hosts in that instance of notepad.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:40 PM
  • Morning Olaf - I've been continuing my odyssey...

Before I tried the hosts file again, I wanted to find out what was causing the problem as I understand the hosts file edit to be a 'work around', rather than a cure (but I may be completely wrong!).

My searches today began with Vista connection errors generally - to Internet, router, etc. - because I had been having random disconnections from the Internet as well. This has been occurring occasionally previously but since I set up the server, it became frequent - last night it was every few minutes. The Vista forums have hundreds and hundreds of such problems, but this thread (actually about wireless connection problems):

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistanetworking/thread/c78d0d76-ea96-441a-acce-146f2c7707f6

offered a link to MS KB 956196, 'You receive an error message in Internet Explorer: "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" ': http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/956196

It's a long article but it notes that many (most?) such problems are caused by software conflicts. It said to run msconfig (from the Start menu/Run...). I have always used Windows Defender/Software Explorer to disable unwanted programs at Startup, and Task Manager for (what I thought was) a detailed listing. Ha! Msconfig was a real shock - I have hundreds of programs running (most of them MS). But among the first were the unbelievably tenacious Adobes, which always seem to re-start themselves somehow, whatever I do and A-Squared. I had no idea. I had a dreadful trojan problem a couple of years ago which the wonderful, wonderful people at Tom Coyote (http://forums.whatthetech.com/forums.html) helped me get rid of. One step was the A-Squared trial edition. It's a tremendous application that really did help, but being a 30-day trial,  I used it, disabled it and, literally, forgot it. But guess what? It's been running in the background for the last couple years! It's never shown up in Task Manager, Software Explorer or anywhere else... So I have now uninsulated it (because I run AVG).

Then I - very bravely - rebooted the server... And both laptops can see still the server! Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah! At this point I'm hoping the connection problems were all caused by a 'simple' anti-virus program conflict. (It sounds too good to be true - that simple - but everyone says that two anti-virus programs is very bad. I wish I'd known A-Squared was still running...)

I'll let you know if everything continues to work. And thanks again, Olaf (& Ken), for your help.

Cheers,

Chris
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Also, nslookup reports the x.x.x.x.53 IP, but no more 'non-existant domain'. Hurrah again!

Cheers,

Chris
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 11:12 AM
  • Huh - I rebooted the laptop and now it can't see the server again...

Sigh.

Chris
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 3:04 PM
  • Nslookup still did not show 'non-existant domain', even though the server is invisible, so I added the 'x.x.x.x.53 SERVER' line to the hosts file & saved it: no effect at all. Humph.

Cheers,

Chris

Saturday, January 9, 2010 5:07 PM
  • Nslookup still did not show 'non-existant domain', even though the server is invisible, so I added the 'x.x.x.x.53 SERVER' line to the hosts file & saved it: no effect at all. Humph.

Cheers,

Chris

Can you please run ipconfig /all (run as Administrator on Vista/7) on both your client and your server, then post the results here?
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:22 PM
  • This is my laptop (I'll post the server on Monday):

C:\Windows\system32>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Qosmio_G40
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Personal Area Network
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-03-7A-DD-E7-C0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MC Gigabit Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-7E-95-91-23
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d06c:cc5f:a6f4:fd41%8(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 January 2010 19:52:25
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 January 2010 19:52:24
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 201330299
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{CF06BBC3-EB67-4780-9EFB-B24D6B20BA30}
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.0.3%14(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{2A29C068-021E-4EEC-9C44-798CE35C2285}
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0

I did this before and after removing A-Squared and adding the hosts file line; the results seem to be exactly the same (except nslookup does not show the 'non-existant domain' error anymore).

Thanks for the post kairya.  :-)

Cheers,

Chris

Saturday, January 9, 2010 8:05 PM
  • The configuration looks ok - maybe you should check the network configuration of the client. In network properties (or on network adapter configuration or something similar, depending from your OS) click Advanced/Advanced Settings and verify, that your LAN connection is the primary connection in the sequence, and not Bluetooth or something else.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by ChrisOfTheOT Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:14 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 8:39 AM
  • Morning Olaf  :-)

FYI, here's the server IP guff:

C:\WINDOWS>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : server
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-30-05-4D-76-43
       IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.2
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 11 January 2010 08:47:28
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 12 January 2010 08:47:28

I did it three times (once 'as Administrator) but each were identical, save the lease time. I did this after I crashed & 're-headed' the server and before, but no difference.

I looked at the Advanced/Advanced Settings thing in Network Connections, as you suggested Olaf, and LAN2 was listed as primary. LAN2 (on my laptop) is Bluetooth so I have changed it to LAN1 first, WiFi second (disabled), LAN2 and Remote Access last.

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks again Olaf & Kariya - your patience is both legendary and much appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Monday, January 11, 2010 9:08 AM
  • Hi Chris,
    on the server, in the TCP/IP properties of your network connection, click Advanced and set NetBIOS over TCP/IP to enabled.
    Which version number does your WHS console show in Settings/Properties?
    Olaf
    Monday, January 11, 2010 2:38 PM
  • In WHS Console/Settings/Resources I have under 'MS Winodws': WHS with PP3 & under 'version information' I have: WHS Console: 6.0.2423.0. Is that what you were after?

Regarding the TCP/IP properties, do I have to reconnect the screen & keyboard to enter the server's connection settings or can I get there through the console?

Thanks again Olaf,

Chris  :-)
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Hi Chris,
    that version looks fine, was just to ensure, that the proper Power Pack is installed.
    You can get there through Remote Desktop client from any of your client PCs, using the account name Administrator and the console password.
    (After changing the configuration as advised it is recommended to reboot and leave the machines a while alone.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 11, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hi Olaf - things are looking up! After changing the network priority thing in Advanced Settings of Networking on my laptop (only) I rebooted and could see the server afterwards. Gasp! I reconnected the screen & keyboard to the server yesterday (and therefore rebooted the server) and amazingly, the laptop clients can still see the server. Unprecedented!

I had several instances last night where my laptop (only) seemed to loose connection to the Internet (but not the Netgear router), but unlike previously, connection to the server was smoothly maintained all evening and backups were finished okay. I rebooted both laptops & the server and on start up all could see each other happily enough. I was even brave enough to set up WMC on my Xbox360 and was able to browse videos and photos through that. (Previously I got a '0708/C00D/F243' error - but a quick search didn't say what that signified.)

This morning everything can see everything else. I have no idea what's happening, but I'm very pleased something's worked! I assume it was the network priority thing - but why would that affect anything?

I'll set the TCP/IP-NetBIOS thing on the server later on. Is that likely to upset this fragile success?

Thanks again Olaf. You are a gem.

Cheers,

Chris
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:28 AM
  • Hi Chris,
    sometimes networking is strange: we do something for troubleshooting, but cannot say, which of all the steps finally solved the issue - if any of them.
    This is the situation here. Enabling NetBIOS over TCP/IP should have no negative impact to your networking experience.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 9:38 AM
  • Morning Olaf - since this is the third consecutive day when everything is working fine, I'm marking this as answered. Although we "cannot say which of all the steps finally solved the issue - if any of them", I'm going to mark your post about which network connection has priority as the answer as it was after this step that everything worked (and stayed working). It may not be the whole answer, but I don't care: it works!

Many, many thanks again Olaf.

Cheers,

Chris :-)

(Also, after some minor confusion about 'Remote Desktop', 'Remote Desktop Protocol' and 'RDP', I found that they're all the same! But these are not the same as 'Remote Access'...)

Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:20 AM