Window 7 reinstallation need help RRS feed

• Question

• I have just brought new hardware to build a new computer and I am taking my old hard drive out of the computer I am currently using and fitting it into my new computer. The problem is that I need to wipe my hard drive meaning I will lose my windows 7, I do not own a windows 7 disc because it was a digit download.

The reason why I cannot simply download windows 7 again is because the account I used had my old college e-mail address (what I don't remember)  so that I could get the student discount when 7 was released.

Any suggestions?

I do have to product key if that is any use.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hello gamer1992,

If you participated in the Windows 7 Upgrade Offer that acompanied the Ultimate Steal Deal (see the current offer here:  http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx ), both then as now, the Windows 7 offer is an offer for an upgrade license and not a full license.

The difference is this:  an upgrade license is only good when installed on a computer that had a qualifying installation of Windows already installed on it.  A full license OTOH does not require any sort of previous installation of Windows.

So the point to all this is that when building a new computer, your upgrade license for W7 (as installed on the previous computer's hard disk drive) cannot be used UNLESS you first install another qualifying Windows OS on the newly built computer.  The fact that you do not have a disc is irrelevevant--the problem is that you do not have the right kind of license to install W7 onto the newly built computer.

Your options at this point to use W7 would be to purchase a full retail license, or a systembuilder/OEM license, and install on the newly built computer.  Or you could purchase and install a full retail or OEM license for either XP or Vista and install on the newly built computer, then use your W7 upgrade license from your old computer to upgrade the new computer.  Of course, that would mean that the old computer could no longer use the W7 upgrade that you applied to it.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Tuesday, December 28, 2010 11:05 PM
    Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:15 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

The above KB article covers replacing media. If you have a valid key you should be able to order replacement media. You can also use a retail disk to install using the key you purchased from a licensed digital reseller (HP, DELL, MS Store). If as Dan surmised you purchased an upgrade product then you will need to follow his advice on installing a qualifying OS to upgrade from.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:18 PM

All replies

• Hello gamer1992,

If you participated in the Windows 7 Upgrade Offer that acompanied the Ultimate Steal Deal (see the current offer here:  http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-us/default.aspx ), both then as now, the Windows 7 offer is an offer for an upgrade license and not a full license.

The difference is this:  an upgrade license is only good when installed on a computer that had a qualifying installation of Windows already installed on it.  A full license OTOH does not require any sort of previous installation of Windows.

So the point to all this is that when building a new computer, your upgrade license for W7 (as installed on the previous computer's hard disk drive) cannot be used UNLESS you first install another qualifying Windows OS on the newly built computer.  The fact that you do not have a disc is irrelevevant--the problem is that you do not have the right kind of license to install W7 onto the newly built computer.

Your options at this point to use W7 would be to purchase a full retail license, or a systembuilder/OEM license, and install on the newly built computer.  Or you could purchase and install a full retail or OEM license for either XP or Vista and install on the newly built computer, then use your W7 upgrade license from your old computer to upgrade the new computer.  Of course, that would mean that the old computer could no longer use the W7 upgrade that you applied to it.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 4:15 PM
  • http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246

The above KB article covers replacing media. If you have a valid key you should be able to order replacement media. You can also use a retail disk to install using the key you purchased from a licensed digital reseller (HP, DELL, MS Store). If as Dan surmised you purchased an upgrade product then you will need to follow his advice on installing a qualifying OS to upgrade from.

Tuesday, December 28, 2010 6:18 PM