Re: support me RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Carey, I am having an issue with my windows validation. It is saying that it is not a valid copy however I have had this computer for about 3 years and I got it from my dad who purchased it straight from Dell. Up until today it has always validated just fine. Could someone have stolen my copy, and if so how do I correct that? Thank you!

Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:19 PM

Answers

All replies

• You may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer on which
    Windows Vista was already activated by a Volume License or OEM installation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;931573

Saturday, October 20, 2007 8:56 PM
  • Unfortunately I do not own windows vista and have never tried to install it on this computer so that wouldn't be the problem. I currently have windows xp. Any other suggestions? Thank you again for your help.

Sunday, October 21, 2007 6:04 PM
  • Hello Brandi,

Are you the original owner of this system? Have you ever had to turn in this computer for any maintenance repairs whatsoever? Brandi will you please run the MGA diagnostic tool and post your results here in the forum? This will allow us to analyze your particular problem so we may be albe to provide you with a resolution. Here are the steps for running and posting the diag results.

Download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 , then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum.

Step 2 is tell us about the COA. Tell us:

1. What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?
    2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?
    3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?
    4. DO NOT post the Product Key.
    5. Please also provide a short description of the issue you are experiencing.

NOTE: The data collected with the Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you and can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Monday, October 22, 2007 7:58 PM