Update Rollup 4 Clarificaton? RRS feed

• Question

• A "known issue" for WHS 2011 Update Rollup 4 is described as:

"You cannot start the TV Archive add-in in Windows Media Center after you install the Update Rollup 4 for Windows Home Server 2011 on a Windows 8-based client computer. To work around this issue, reinstall the client connector on the client computer before you install the Update Rollup 4."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2757011

Can anyone clarify precisely what this means?  It's unclear to me why the client connector must be reinstalled *before* you install Update Rollup 4... 

I don't want to install the update on the server if I am going to risk losing Media Center functionality on my Windows 8 client machines. Thoughts appreciated.

• Edited by Gary Voth Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:16 AM
    Thursday, December 13, 2012 3:15 AM

Answers

• Surprised there was no response to this... but it appears Microsoft HAS updated the original KB article to clarify this. Here is the new language which follows the original text of the known issue posted above:

"Note This issue only occurs on the server that has Update Rollup 3 for Windows Home Server 2011 installed."

In any case, I installed UR4 about a week ago and all is good.

• Marked as answer by Gary Voth Monday, January 7, 2013 4:06 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 AM

All replies

• Thursday, December 13, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Come on Microsoft... no further information about this?  I am holding off on installing this update until someone can explain what this "known issue" really means.

Friday, December 21, 2012 1:52 PM
  • Surprised there was no response to this... but it appears Microsoft HAS updated the original KB article to clarify this. Here is the new language which follows the original text of the known issue posted above:

"Note This issue only occurs on the server that has Update Rollup 3 for Windows Home Server 2011 installed."

In any case, I installed UR4 about a week ago and all is good.

• Marked as answer by Gary Voth Monday, January 7, 2013 4:06 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 4:05 AM
  • Just bumped into this error today. 

Timing wise it appears since rollup 4.

I performed the rollup uninstall etc. that was instructed by Microsoft but to no avail as the same error continues.

Any suggestions?   Any others still with this error?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:16 PM