Microsoft Money has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. RRS feed

• Question

• My PC crashed and when reinstalled Money worked fine till an automatic Windows update.  Now I can't do anything in Money (sunset) without this stupid message.  And, it continues to try and update my accounts thus I can't even put anything in manually.  I've been using this for 15 years or so and love it. IBank doesn't come close.  But I guess I'm going to have to learn to use it if I can't figure out how to get Money to work.  I tried restoring my computer to before the update, but it doesn't seem to see the update as a change.   So I'm basically out of luck.  Any similar problems out there??
    Saturday, January 11, 2014 11:04 PM

All replies

• I would try applying the patch described in the first "sticky" in this forum:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d28d6921-1f01-430f-b33e-f5a3ec47077b/money-plus-bug-and-solution-mnyob99dll?forum=money

which replaces the mnyob99.dll file.  If you need help doing this, post back.

Whether this works or not, please post back with your result and what version of Money and Windows you are running.

Bill Becker

Sunday, January 12, 2014 3:17 AM
  • I was able to download it but it wanted to know what program to use to open the .dll  I don't know the answer to that question.  I certainly wish Microsoft had not discontinued this product.  grannyof4
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 12:46 AM
  • >

You don't open the dll file.  It's a replacement for a dll file that you already have.  If you downloaded mnyob99.dll as instructed in the first sticky in this forum, you need to:

- Open Windows Explorer and find the downloaded mnyob99.dll file

- Right-click on it, and select "Copy"

- still using Windows Explorer, locate the folder on your system named Microsoft Money Plus.  It is usually in the C:/Program Files folder.

- In that folder you will see a folder named MNYCore Files.   Open it and find the existing mnyob99.dll file.  Rename it oldmnyob99.dll or something similar.

- Right click and select "Paste" to copy the mnyob99.dll file into the MNYCore Files folder.

Open MSMoney and verify that it is now working.

Let us know if this works or if you run into a problem.  Also please state the version of Money you are using and your version of Windows.

PS Re Money support, you are in good company.  We all wish that Microsoft had not discontinued support for Money!

Bill Becker

• Edited by Bill Becker Sunday, January 26, 2014 6:11 PM Fixed font size
    Sunday, January 26, 2014 4:59 AM
  • One think missing from Bill Becker's instructions.  Microsoft for some perverse reason has categorized the MNYCore folder as a System file folder.  Therefore in order to see it you have to (in Windows Explorer) go to Tools > Folder Options > View and then UNcheck the Hide protected operating system files box.  Ignore the warning and confirm.  You will then be able to see the MNYCore folder and the mnyob99.dll file that needs to be replaced.  After you replace it go back and recheck the Hide protected operating system files box.
    Monday, January 27, 2014 3:35 AM
  • Thank you guys so much.  I finally had time to sit down and do this and it appears to work.  I downloaded a month from the bank and not one error message.  I'm finally back on track.  Thanks again.  I just made the patch to parallels on my Mac.  Nothing left to download so I'll wait till next time to see if it works there also.  Thanks again.. 
    Monday, February 10, 2014 9:17 PM