WHS will not load - Cannot find OS after loading S/W RRS feed

• Question

• I have a new system with an Intel E5300 Dual core processor running at 2.6GHz with 2GB of ram with 2(ea) WD Caviar Green 1TB hard drives.  When I load WHS everything seems to load properly until the final reboot.  When it reboots it gets the error "cannot find Operating System".  I checked out the drive and found that the it built the 20GB partition with the remaining disk being open for data and of course the second drive has not been touched yet.  I go through the install process again and this time it gets to the "finalizing installation" section and then I get the following error "Creating Volume Failed:  Catastrophic Failure (error code 0x8000ffff).

I have tried reloading with no success.  I have reformatted drives and have tried both drives and I get the same errors as I described above.  Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:03 AM

Answers

• I finally have success.  The problem is these WD Caviar Green Sata Hard drives. Both of them fail identically to what I have described earlier.  I installed a 1TB Hitachi Sata drive and the S/W loaded like a champ.  I will be taking these drives back to Microcenter tomorrow and get either the WD Black or even another Hitachi.  Thank you all for your help
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:51 AM

All replies

• I have a new system with an Intel E5300 Dual core processor running at 2.6GHz with 2GB of ram with 2(ea) WD Caviar Green 1TB hard drives.  When I load WHS everything seems to load properly until the final reboot.  When it reboots it gets the error "cannot find Operating System".  I checked out the drive and found that the it built the 20GB partition with the remaining disk being open for data and of course the second drive has not been touched yet.  I go through the install process again and this time it gets to the "finalizing installation" section and then I get the following error "Creating Volume Failed:  Catastrophic Failure (error code 0x8000ffff).

I have tried reloading with no success.  I have reformatted drives and have tried both drives and I get the same errors as I described above.  Any help would be greatly appreciated
    You might try another DVD drive.  Also, just to make sure, are you leaving the DVD in the drive the entire time?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:46 AM
  • Also check, that the boot sequence in the Bios is pointing to the correct disk, if you have more than one built in or disconnect all drives but the system drive. I had this once, that a semiintelligent Bios thought to mess up the disk boot sequence in my system somewhen in the middle of the installation process.)
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 2:08 PM
  • In you BIOS settings for the SATA controller do you have it set to AHCI or IDE?  For Windows Home Server I think you might need it to be set to IDE as AHCI support is only in Windows Server 2008 and Vista/W7.
    --
    Monday, January 25, 2010 5:51 PM
  • In you BIOS settings for the SATA controller do you have it set to AHCI or IDE?  For Windows Home Server I think you might need it to be set to IDE as AHCI support is only in Windows Server 2008 and Vista/W7.

I deleted this part from my answer after recognizing, that the OP did talk about the finalizing stage of setup.
    Also this would not end in No operating system found, but usually in a lovely BSOD 0x7B or a direct endless reboot cycle.
    Olaf
    Monday, January 25, 2010 7:02 PM
  • To answer both replies:  1) Yes I have left the DVD in the drive the entire installation cycle.  2)  I have checked the Bios and the boot sequence and they are correct.  3)  I have also tried a different DVD drive with the same results.  What I have done now is reduced the system to one 1TB hard drive and one DVD drive.  I get the exact same results as I previously described.  I am totally lost at this time.  Is it possible for a corrupted file to be on the DVD???
    Monday, February 1, 2010 12:45 AM
  • To answer both replies:  1) Yes I have left the DVD in the drive the entire installation cycle.  2)  I have checked the Bios and the boot sequence and they are correct.  3)  I have also tried a different DVD drive with the same results.  What I have done now is reduced the system to one 1TB hard drive and one DVD drive.  I get the exact same results as I previously described.  I am totally lost at this time.  Is it possible for a corrupted file to be on the DVD???
    It could be bad media.  Another possibility is a bad hard drive.  Have you tried running chkdsk /r on that drive?  Also, you say the final reboot.  Howver, there are multiple reboots.  How many successful reboots do you get before it fails?
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:10 AM
  • there are several reboots.  I do not know exactly how many.  I would have to run this again and count them. I am having this problem on both drives so I doubt that I have bad hard drives.  Also to answer the bad media, I thought of that as well and downloaded the trial version to see if it would load and had the same problem.  I did capture the log files if that would be of any use.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 3:19 AM
  • Can you check (i.e. with a Vista or Windows 7 DVD) if the system volume on the disk is still set to active? (Or try to set it to active again.)
    Commands are executed from the system repair environments command prompt and look around this:
    diskpart
    list disk
    select disk 0
    (assuming this is your system disk)
    list partition (should show the first partition at least, so assuming this is partition 1 on your disk the following command would select it)
    sele part 1
    active
    (will set the selected partition to active)
    exit
    Replace the Windows 7 or Vista DVD with the WHS DVD and reboot.

Best greetings form Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, February 1, 2010 8:52 PM
  • I did not have a Vista or windows 7 DVD but I did have a Windows XP Media edition for which I loaded to my system.  There was no problems loading this and the computer operated fine.  I then followed your instructions and reloaded WHS and had the same problem as I previously described.  There are a total of 6 reboots during the installation of WHS.  Here is a breakdown of what is happening at each section of the installation

1.  Power up - Setup Initializes
    2.  Collecting information
    3.  Dynamic Updates is SKIPPED
    4. Preparing Installation
       a.  The system volume formats
       b.  Installation files are copied
    5.  Installing Windows -
       a.  System Reboots - Goes into Windows 2003 for Small Business Server Setup
       b.  System Reboots - Goes back to WHS and continues "Installing Windows Section
    6.  Finalizing Installation
       a.  Saves Settings
       b.  Temp files removed
       c.  System Reboots - WHS comes back up and sets up Personalized settings
       d.  System Reboots - WHS starts to come up and immediately does a CHKDSK on C: drive.  with No Problem found,
       e.  System Reboots - WHS start up and goes back to "Finalizing Installation Section" and updates the Windows Update Director.
       f.   System Reboots - WHS Starts up.  After "Connection to Storage Mgr Service" loads it starts creating the Primary volume and at this point I get the error "Fails Creating Primary Volume".

This is a constant cycle and is repeatable.  I am totally at a loss with this one.
    Wednesday, February 3, 2010 4:03 PM
  • I finally have success.  The problem is these WD Caviar Green Sata Hard drives. Both of them fail identically to what I have described earlier.  I installed a 1TB Hitachi Sata drive and the S/W loaded like a champ.  I will be taking these drives back to Microcenter tomorrow and get either the WD Black or even another Hitachi.  Thank you all for your help
    Friday, February 5, 2010 1:51 AM
  • Maybe it's the mixture between controller and drives, since many people use these drives without any problems.
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 9:29 AM
  • Olaf, You could be very well correct on this.  What I did was purchase 2 Seagate Barracuda 1TB drives and they installed with no problems.  I did a search an found that there are several instances of the WD Caviar Green SATA drives having problems.  Bottom line is I am finally up and moving on to other projects.  again thank you for your help
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 6:14 PM