Hyper-V and domain joining RRS feed

• Question

• So, time for the inevitable questions --

1) Can we install Vail in a Hyper-V R2 VM as a guest?

2) Can we finally join it to a domain for those of us with existing home domains....please?

Monday, April 26, 2010 6:29 PM

Answers

• 1. You should be able to. However, as it is in beta, it may or may not work.

2. No.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:34 PM

All replies

• 1. You should be able to. However, as it is in beta, it may or may not work.

2. No.

http://www.tomontech.com
    Monday, April 26, 2010 6:34 PM
  • I havent done it in Hyper-V but have in VMWare Workstation and Server and it works fine.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 7:15 PM
  • What about using Microsoft's Hyper V on the base os can that component be added to run virtual machines, or would virtual server or vmware server still be the answer?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:05 PM
  • Installing Windows Home Server in a virtualized machine will likely be unsupported. It may work for you, it may not. If you're expert with Hyper-V, VMWare, etc. you should be able to figure out any issues.

I expect it to work, however.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:07 PM
  • if that was directed to me I was wondering is the WHS can be a Virtual machine host.  I do it currently with WHS1 and Vmware server.

Was hoping to be able to install Hyper V on Vail to run my vms.

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:15 PM
  • You will not be able to install Hyper-V on Vail.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:16 PM
  • Microsoft has invested a lot into virtualizing its internal test environments, and a significant share of our testing occurs on virtual machines. At the moment I cannot make any comments about whether it will be a supported configuration or not, but running Vail as a HyperV guest has worked just fine for quite some time now.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:19 PM
  • Cool! Good to know, Bulat. Or at least to have out in the open (I've never believed in huge rooms filled with racks of PCs for testing :) ).
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:39 PM
  • I've just installed on VMWare Workstation 6.5 and it threw some errors that I have to review however ESXi 4.0 installed without problems.
    --
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:42 AM
  • I have it running in ESXi 4.0 (It's free BTW) with 2 Virtual CPU's 2GB of memory and 2 160GB drives, and one Intel E1000 Virtual NIC.

It works flawless and took about 30minutes to install.

When it came up I installed the VMTools which also installed fine.  I was able to go into the console and add the 2nd disk to the pool.

Remember Vail is a 64Bit OS so your Host must be able to support 64Bit OS's.  I know ESX 4.0, and Hyper-V support 64Bit Guest machines, not sure about any others.

Pugsly0014
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 2:37 PM