Corporate back to OEM with legit Key RRS feed

• Question

• I have an IBM notebook and recently reformated and loaded a slipstreamed XP installation (I didnt want to loose the 4G (>10%) in recovery partition and have all the junk from IBM pre-loaded as this is a performance hog) The slipsteamed XP install had a key built in and I would like to cahnge it to my legit XP Pro key. Is it possible to go from corporate pro to OEM without re-installing as this would be hours worth of work.
    Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:30 AM

Answers

• Jason:

Yes. :).

Let me know how this goes.

-Phil Liu

Please note that you can install on "top" of your current copy of Windows. This will allow you to keep files on your computer and move them over when you have free time. Your old copy of Windows will be labeled Windows.Old.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:14 PM
  • About 1 and a half years ago I moved up house and forgot to bring my windows cd, so I installed off my friends copy thinking i would change it as soon as my parents sent me my old copy.

Now that I have my old key back, I can't change the key. I don't see why I should either have to pay au$239 or reinstall. I have alot of stuff on this computer and not alot of time to do a backup. I own a legit key, is there a way I can use it without a reinstall?

Thankyou

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:55 AM
  • Jason:

The preferred method in this case is to reinstall your original copy of Windows. Non-genuine copies of Windows are very vulnerable to having hacked Microsoft binary files and security risks.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:34 AM
  •  GabeOsmo wrote:

About 1 and a half years ago I moved up house and forgot to bring my windows cd, so I installed off my friends copy thinking i would change it as soon as my parents sent me my old copy.

Now that I have my old key back, I can't change the key. I don't see why I should either have to pay au$239 or reinstall. I have alot of stuff on this computer and not alot of time to do a backup. I own a legit key, is there a way I can use it without a reinstall?

Thankyou

It is unfortunate that your system was set up incorrectly, but at this point your best course of action is to reinstall windows. You will only lose data if you format the installation partition; doing a reinstallation of Windows without formatting the system will allow you to use your old key, keep your data, and get a fresh installation of Windows. Your data will remain where it is now, and your system directories, including "Program Files", will be renamed like "Program Files.OLD".

-tjackson

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

I will reload the notebook, though my preference is still not to use the IBM recovery due to the overhead.  Can I use a legitimate Windows XP Pro OEM CD with the IBM tTinkpad XP Pro Keys. (IBM R51 Lenovo)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:02 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply,

I will reload the notebook, though my preference is still not to use the IBM recovery due to the overhead.  Can I use a legitimate Windows XP Pro OEM CD with the IBM tTinkpad XP Pro Keys. (IBM R51 Lenovo)

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Installatioin of genuine Windows OEM CD supplied with my desktop worked fine on the IBM thinkpad and the IBM thinkpad key.

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:28 PM

All replies

• About 1 and a half years ago I moved up house and forgot to bring my windows cd, so I installed off my friends copy thinking i would change it as soon as my parents sent me my old copy.

Thankyou

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 1:55 AM
  • Jason:

The preferred method in this case is to reinstall your original copy of Windows. Non-genuine copies of Windows are very vulnerable to having hacked Microsoft binary files and security risks.

-Phil Liu

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 4:34 AM
  •  GabeOsmo wrote:

About 1 and a half years ago I moved up house and forgot to bring my windows cd, so I installed off my friends copy thinking i would change it as soon as my parents sent me my old copy.

Thankyou

It is unfortunate that your system was set up incorrectly, but at this point your best course of action is to reinstall windows. You will only lose data if you format the installation partition; doing a reinstallation of Windows without formatting the system will allow you to use your old key, keep your data, and get a fresh installation of Windows. Your data will remain where it is now, and your system directories, including "Program Files", will be renamed like "Program Files.OLD".

-tjackson

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 9:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply,

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:02 PM
  • Jason:

Yes. :).

Let me know how this goes.

-Phil Liu

Please note that you can install on "top" of your current copy of Windows. This will allow you to keep files on your computer and move them over when you have free time. Your old copy of Windows will be labeled Windows.Old.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:14 PM
  •  

Thanks for the reply,

Wednesday, April 26, 2006 11:19 PM
  • Installatioin of genuine Windows OEM CD supplied with my desktop worked fine on the IBM thinkpad and the IBM thinkpad key.

Thanks for your help

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:28 PM
  • Before i have genuine key. i foamat my computer and try that key? it is saying that kry is not valide? what can i do?
    Friday, June 22, 2007 8:19 PM
  • Faittey,

I understand the inconvenience you are currently experiencing and would like to provide you with some self-help options we have made available for our customers to address the issue you are currently experiencing. Please follow the steps outlined below as it could either resolve your issue or, if need be, provide us with additional information to determine the cause of this issue.

1) Ensure you log onto the computer experiencing the issue with “Administrator” rights.

2) Next we would like to confirm that you are running the most current version of the Genuine Advantage control on your computer. In order to do this please follow the below link and choose the “Validate Office” option.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine

If the above steps did not resolve your issue lets continue with the steps below.

I would like to provide some of the self-help options we have made available for our customers to address these issues. If you could please follow the steps outlined below; the diagnostics Web Site will attempt to resolve the validation errors you are experiencing with Office.

http://www.microsoft.com/Genuine/diag/RunDiags.aspx?displayLang=en

Next follow the on-screen prompts to resolve the issue if any of the checks at the above site fail. You can do this by choosing the “Resolve Now” button if it appears. If, after attempting to resolve the issue as per the instructions on the above site fails, please refer to the link below and run the MGA Diagnostics tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

You will be prompted to either “Run” or “Save” the tool. Choose to “Run” the tool and follow the on-screen prompts. You will receive an “Internet Explorer-Security Warning” dialog box for the “Windows Genuine Advantage Diagnostic Tool”; you must choose to “Run” this tool when prompted.

Once you are presented with the Diagnostics tool choose “Continue” to run the diagnostic report. If the “RESOLVE” button is available after running the diagnostics, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool to attempt a repair.

1.      After running the MGA Diagnostic tool, click on the “Windows” tab and then click on “Copy”.

2.      Please return to this post and “Paste” the results here for additional review.

Thank you
    Stephen Holm
    WGA Forum Manager

Friday, June 22, 2007 10:58 PM