none
XP activation issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have an Advent 7111 bought new from PCWorld in December 2006 with XP installed. Today, although no hardware updates have been made as I start the machine up a message appears telling me I must activate windows. I cannot log into the internet as I cannot start windows. Accordingly I tried contacting the telephone activation service. I have now tried this service three times, each time I get a message saying I have been a victim of software piracy and the service disconnects.

How do I proceed to resolve this issue?

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 11:49 AM

Answers

• Hello alexinaofshoreham,

According to your previous posts, it sounds like you are able to run the Activation Wizard and have been able to attempt a telephonic activation.

Please start in Normal mode and rerun the activation wizard, and choose the option to do a telephonic activation just as you did before.  However, this time, do not say anything or enter anything into the automated telephone wizard.  Not entering or saying anything is supposed to prompt the system into transferring you to a live activation representative.  You should be able to get more direct assistance from the representative.  If you make this call during normal business hours for your country/region, you are much more likely to be served by an Activation Call Center in your country/region, which should lessen the chance of an accent or language barrier getting in the way of support.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:46 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:36 PM

All replies

I am assuming that Windows does start, but that you are stuck at an activation screen and cannot get past it.

If you can start into Safe Mode, please try this method to reset your 30 day grace period:

If the computer can be started to a safe mode command prompt, run this to re-arm XP activation:

rundll32.exe syssetup,SetupOobeBnk

[Edit:  command must be typed exacly as above with space, caps, and comma.]

Assuming you were able to reset the 30 day activation grace period and can now start into Normal Mode (not Safe Mode), please follow these directions next:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Run" several times to download and start the Utility.  When asked, click the "Continue" button.  When the utility completes its run, click the "Copy" button, then come back here and paste the report into your post.

Also, please look on the computer for a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If there is a CoA, please tell us what version and edition of Windows is listed on the CoA, and if there is a manufacturer's name or "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" printed on the CoA.  Do not post the product key printed on the CoA.

Friday, November 26, 2010 3:38 AM
  • Hi Dan, Thanks for taking the time to answer. I have already tried safe mode and running the command you recommend but it does not reset the 30 day grace period.

There is a valid CoA on the computer. I bought it new, have done no major hardware upgrades and have paid Microsoft in full for their product which is now not working and denying me access to my computer and data. Microsoft have provided no way of contacting them to resolve the issue.

When the activation service says I have been a victim of software piracy, they are right, the pirates are Microsoft.

I now have to either pay for a new copy of windows or go elsewhere. I shall go elsewhere.

Friday, November 26, 2010 10:15 AM

According to your previous posts, it sounds like you are able to run the Activation Wizard and have been able to attempt a telephonic activation.

Please start in Normal mode and rerun the activation wizard, and choose the option to do a telephonic activation just as you did before.  However, this time, do not say anything or enter anything into the automated telephone wizard.  Not entering or saying anything is supposed to prompt the system into transferring you to a live activation representative.  You should be able to get more direct assistance from the representative.  If you make this call during normal business hours for your country/region, you are much more likely to be served by an Activation Call Center in your country/region, which should lessen the chance of an accent or language barrier getting in the way of support.

• Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, December 1, 2010 9:46 PM
    Friday, November 26, 2010 4:36 PM
  • If you can get a response on the telephonic service then you are a much better person than me. I have repeatedly tried but got no response. I just cannot afford to pay for these calls.

Please consider this closed now. Thanks for your time Dan.

Sunday, November 28, 2010 11:02 AM
  • "alexinaofshoreham" wrote in message news:0c5b6cb3-da9c-4404-9378-5d8d7de8532c...

If you can get a response on the telephonic service then you are a much better person than me. I have repeatedly tried but got no response. I just cannot afford to pay for these calls.

Activation Center calls are almost always Toll-Free, unless you have to use a mobile phone, or opt for the alternative line.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, November 28, 2010 12:10 PM