WHS Changed motherboard, How to save data RRS feed

• Question

• I am running WHS with 2 1TB harddrives as storage and 1 1TB as backup. I had a motherboard failure and changed it out. Now I was able to boot off the old drives but I cant get into the WHS counsel. I have a feeling that has to do with the fact I did not reinstall the OS. I have another computer that I pulled up one of the 1 TB storage drives on to see if I can move the data off of it. I noticed that some of the folders have missing data. I than realized that it appears WHS wrote the data across multiple drives. How with a new WHS OS loaded can I recover all my data from the drives?
    Monday, May 10, 2010 6:48 PM

All replies

• You might have the problem, that some of the disks are not seen by the operating system. Did you install appropriate mass storage drivers or change the SATA controller settings in Bios to IDE compatibility?
    You could also check the event log on the server to get more details, why the console does not open.

For the main question, how to locate and recover the data, we have a FAQ here: How to recover data after server failure

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:06 PM
  • No, all the drives are detected.. I figured when I replaced the motherboard that the OS would blue screen on boot up. I was shocked that it actually loaded. I guess my question is two fold.

1. If I can use the OS that is loaded now, how do I fix it so the WHS counsel comes up and what else do I have to do to it to make it run correctly.

2. If I cant use the OS, How do I get the data back into the correct folders on the new computer. I took 1 of the 1TB storage drives and put iit on my other computer to see if I could pull the files off, but I noticed that some of the movies I had on there some of the files were missing in the folder. Almost like the system used the 2 1TB drives in some sort of array storing some of the information on one and some on the second.

Monday, May 10, 2010 7:22 PM
  • In your case the way to go would be server reinstall. This should automatically restore the links to all files in your shared folders so they will be accessible again in the normal way. In most cases also the client backups will be preserved. You will need to redo all post install modifications such as creating users, set up remote access install add-ins, configure remote access, connect clients and so on. Please make sure you run windows updates a few times (make sure you have PowerPack 3 installed before you start re-connecting clients.

Please note server reinstall may take a lot of time, especially if you have a lot of data stored on your server, and at times it may even seem as if it's stuck. Like Olaf said, best set all disks to run in IDE mode to avoid disks not recognised issues. Otherwise you may need to provide storage drivers once during the initial phase of install, then AGAIN on diskette at the beginning of the text mode phase of the installation.

Please read Drive Extender to understand how WHS stores data. More interesting and useful documents on WHS can be found overhere.

Monday, May 10, 2010 8:49 PM
  • ANy chance this will destory my data, I cant afford to loose it!
    Monday, May 10, 2010 9:02 PM
  • There's no 100% guarantee, however so far I have not seen any serious reports of lost data using this procedure that would have been saved using the manual method Olaf describes in his FAQ. The most important thing is to make absolutely sure the original system disk is the primary hard drive in the new system. Early during server reinstall the drives found will be listed. The first drive in the list should be your current system disk. If it's not you should NOT continue. Once the process started you may need a lot of patience.
    Monday, May 10, 2010 9:43 PM
  • Now you have me worried. The two 1 TB drives have the OS on it as well as the storage data. Would I be better off Doing this a different way?

Monday, May 10, 2010 11:55 PM
  • Normally only one of the two storage disks in your system should have the OS on it. This disk should have two partitions, system and DATA, the other storage disk should only have one DATA partition. Since the backup disk is not part of WHS storage pool you should best leave it out of the system unitl reinstall has completelty finished.

If you are worried about your data  feel insecure about the server reinstall procedure , then best choose to reinstall on a fresh hard disk, then use te manual copy method in the FAQ Olaf refers to.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 3:11 AM
  • OK I ran the reinstall and i cant see all my data a good chunk is missing.... In Disk Management it shows me Disk 0 20 gigs sys than 911.5 GB as data and most is used, which I would "HOPE" is all my data. however It wont let me click "Explorer" to see the data. I than have Disk 1 same showing 20 gigs sys and 911.50 gigs data but this one is empty. If I explore to the data folder I can see some of my data but the bulk is missing. What am I missing here. It looks like the system has installed the OS on one disk, not the other or something odd? PLEASE HELP, I'll die if I lost this information.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:17 AM
  • Also when trying to acess the shared folders it says I dont have permission

OK cancel that I figured out the LAN driver was not loaded. 1 small problem fixed.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 4:21 AM
  • OK I ran the reinstall and i cant see all my data a good chunk is missing.... In Disk Management it shows me Disk 0 20 gigs sys than 911.5 GB as data and most is used, which I would "HOPE" is all my data. however It wont let me click "Explorer" to see the data. I than have Disk 1 same showing 20 gigs sys and 911.50 gigs data but this one is empty. If I explore to the data folder I can see some of my data but the bulk is missing. What am I missing here. It looks like the system has installed the OS on one disk, not the other or something odd? PLEASE HELP, I'll die if I lost this information.

Hmm.  Seems you installed to the wrong disk, you shouldn't have two disks with a system partition after server reinstall. The data which is still there should be on the second partition of the first disk (normally D partition) in a hidden folder named "DE".  Please check.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 6:48 AM
  • I think your right, I realized that I had the cables hooked up wrong. THe problem is now that Even though the data appears to be there I cant see it. In "explorer" it shows me one disk and the hidden DE folder only shows some of my data. Not the almost full 1TB drive I can see in Disk Management. Please tell me my files are still there.

Do you think If I take the disk with the data on it and load it onto one of my other computers Ill be able to see the data?

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 11:59 AM
  • I think your right, I realized that I had the cables hooked up wrong. THe problem is now that Even though the data appears to be there I cant see it. In "explorer" it shows me one disk and the hidden DE folder only shows some of my data. Not the almost full 1TB drive I can see in Disk Management. Please tell me my files are still there.

In that case probably most of the data is client backups, stored in a folder D:\DE\folders\{000*. Files which were present in the WHS shares should be in D:\DE\shares\Software, D:\DE\shares\Photos and so on.

Do you think If I take the disk with the data on it and load it onto one of my other computers Ill be able to see the data?

No.

What you can try is take the disk has been inadvertently formatted and mount the disk in another system, and then use PC Inspector file recovery from Convar to check how much of your data can still be recovered, don't expect too much from this though.

Sorry this happened to you, I just hope it's not really irreplaceable stuff you lost.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:17 PM
  • You say most of the data is client backups, however I wasnt backing anything up on the onld WHS system. At least not other computers and the Server was being backed up to another 1 TB harddrive. So I'm confident that the drive indicating that is mostly full is all of my data. I can tell you this if WHS works the way I think it does I didnt format my drive. I know for sure I did a "Server Reinstall" and the drive that it happened on was almost empty to begin with so not much lost there on the 20 gig partation that it formated. At no point did it seem to take long enough to actually format 1TB of information, nor did it ever indicate that is what it was doing. It only said reformating partation. I also have gone to the D:\DE\folders\{000* folder and not seen any data there. What about only hooking upo the disk with all my files on it to the WHS and running a reinstall again? There has to be a way here. I have 3000 pictures of my kids on this drive. I know, I know, I know...how I should have been backing up and this and that.
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:32 PM
  • My current advise would be to shut down your WHS, take out the disks, and mount them in another system to check what data is actually on them. Please note the DE folder is hidden, so you should enable 'View hidden files and folders" on the system you are using. If you don't find what you're looking for please try and inspect the disk with a decent data recovery program (such as PC Inspector file recovery from Convar which is also free)

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:43 PM
  • I'll give it a shot.  Thank you
    Tuesday, May 11, 2010 12:47 PM