Active Tasks Filter Bug: Fixed in Windows Mobile 6.5? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm in the market for a new PDA/smartphone, and I was wondering if the notorious Active Tasks Filter Bug introduced in Windows Mobile 6.0 is fixed in Windows Mobile 6.5.  I need to know because the Verizon rep is trying to convince me to switch to Blackberry, and as much as I'd hate to switch, Windows Mobile 6 left a sour taste in my mouth with the bugs and the "it's not a bug it's a feature" response from MS.

Thursday, October 8, 2009 3:31 PM

Answers

• MaxSmart - Thanks for the clarification and correction. I am marking this as answered just for internal tracking purposes but folks can continue to post here including providing information regarding workarounds or potential fix timelines.
    Thank you from the Windows phone team
    http://www.WindowsPhone.com/TotalAccess
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:04 AM

All replies

• Thanks for your question MaxSmart. I've asked my colleagues to investigate and we'd like to help you so that you can continue enjoying the Windows platform!
    • Edited by MaryAliceC Tuesday, October 20, 2009 8:42 PM clarification
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 5:05 PM
  • MaxSmart - here's what I just heard back:

"We tested this on an HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional , and can’t make the bug appear – so we presume it’s been fixed.

What we did to test was the following:

·         Start with a completely fresh OS install – no ActiveSync partnerships already established.

·         Create a partnership with my PC, and sync only Tasks from Outlook (not Exchange).

·         Create a new task on my PC, with a start/due date set to a week in the future.

·         Sync with the phone.

·         Check the homescreen tasks indicator, and see “No tasks”

Note that the display of Tasks will be affected by the carrier’s OS version – for example, the Verizon Imagio is going to look different and have a different ROM than the AT&T Touch Pro we just tested on. By default, both will also come with HTC TouchFLO activated by default, and this displays tasks differently than 6.0. The default native Today screen in 6.5 also does not display tasks like 6.0 – the user would have to disable both TouchFLO and the new sliding panel 6.5 Today screen to see the old-style Today screen with the list of items."

• Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:52 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by MaxSmart Monday, November 9, 2009 7:18 PM
    Tuesday, October 20, 2009 6:52 PM
  • MaxSmart - here's what I just heard back:

"We tested this on an HTC Touch Pro running Windows Mobile 6.5 Professional , and can’t make the bug appear – so we presume it’s been fixed.

What we did to test was the following:

·         Start with a completely fresh OS install – no ActiveSync partnerships already established.

·         Create a partnership with my PC, and sync only Tasks from Outlook (not Exchange).

·         Create a new task on my PC, with a start/due date set to a week in the future.

·         Sync with the phone.

·         Check the homescreen tasks indicator, and see “No tasks”

Mary,
    The homescreen was never broken.  When you click on the "no tasks" and it takes you to the tasks screen, does it display the not-yet-active task, assuming you have the "Active Tasks" filter on?

For example, right now on my WM6.0 device, it says "6 active tasks", but when I click on that it shows me 45(!) tasks.  3 at the top of the list and 3 at the bottom of the list are actually active (6 total).  The only way I can tell which ones are active and which ones aren't is by clicking on each individual one to check its start date. 

(3 are at the top because I am sorting by due date, 3 are at the bottom because they don't have a start/due date specified)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 9:41 PM
  • Is there any improvement in Tasks program itself? Can we filter to view only active tasks in Windows Mobile 6.5? (Atleast after opening the Tasks application)
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 7:54 AM
  • That's what I was asking, actually.  It actually worked right in Windows Mobile 4 and 5.  When 6.0 came out, they decided that "Active Tasks" should mean "Non-Completed Tasks" on the tasks screen, but still the old definition on the Today Screen.

I'd need news that it was fixed or a commitment to fix it before buying another Windows Mobile device.  I was SO dissapointed that that Tasks didn't work as well under 6.0 as they did on my old 4.0 device.  I can't tell what's active and what's not, without individually clicking on tasks to see the start date.

Monday, November 9, 2009 7:18 PM
  • MaxSmart - Thanks for the clarification and correction. I am marking this as answered just for internal tracking purposes but folks can continue to post here including providing information regarding workarounds or potential fix timelines.
    • Marked as answer by MaryAliceC Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:04 AM
    Tuesday, December 1, 2009 3:04 AM
  • I can confirm that it still works as in 6.1.  Active tasks are stupidly filtered as tasks not completed.  It appears that its the way MS wants it.

They did manage to make the classic today screen match, the "active tasks" part shows an all uncompleted task number.  I like the new "titanium" today screen but it does include a "task" panel...  MS just can't seem to get it right.  I guess most people don't have to manage to-dos.  :-(

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:27 PM
  • I can confirm that it still works as in 6.1.  Active tasks are stupidly filtered as tasks not completed.  It appears that its the way MS wants it.

They did manage to make the classic today screen match, the "active tasks" part shows an all uncompleted task number.  I like the new "titanium" today screen but it does include a "task" panel...  MS just can't seem to get it right.  I guess most people don't have to manage to-dos.  :-(

Wednesday, March 24, 2010 11:27 PM