can't restore - network goes dead at critical moment RRS feed

• Question

•  

If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

Trying to restore for real and I'm stuck.

Made a new restore cd from the iso on the server, copied the drivers folder from the right backup to a usb stck

Put a wired connection in place (normally wireless but wired is all set up and works if connected) and inserted usb stick with drivers

boot from restore CD

Takes ages but eventually tells me it's found network and storage

around now the NIC green light goes out

The restore wizard appears but can't find the server - because the network is dead.

As soon as I reboot the NIC green light comes back on.

Please does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve

Thursday, August 28, 2008 9:35 PM

Answers

• Big sigh of relief - successfully restored - marvellous.

I installed an old network card, disabled the motherboard nic in the bios and the restore CD and WHS did their stuff.

So some weirdness with the particular motherboard/nic/driver 

(Gigabyte GA-MA78GDS3H with on board realtek RTL8168C/8111)

Thanks to everyone that posted.

Lesson learnt:  Test restore CD on every client - if it doesn't work it's better to sort it before you really need restore.

Cheers

Steve

Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:45 PM

All replies

• Update to the above.  Spent the entire evening on this and have failed.

I guess I should have tested a restore before I really needed one but honestly the whole thing seems so slow, confusing and gives zero help when things go wrong.

For starters how do you know you have the right restore CD?  I stared with the iso on the WHS assuming this would be updated along with everything else.  Doesn't seem so, references here led me to the dual boot restore CD - so I downloaded and burnt that.  Seemed a bit more up to date - at least it had a progress bar at the beginning - but I still don't know if it is the right version.

Then the whole thing is so slow to get going - on my PC it sits for ages - maybe 10 minutes - with the window with four items in it.

The drivers thing is confusing - on my system it correctly detects the disk and network interface - so I guess I don't need the USB stick?  I tried scanning the usb stick with the folder from the backup but that seemed to hang until I gave up and removed the memeory stick - when I got an error message and the only option was to start the whole slow thing off again.

I could cope with it taking ages if it worked but my PC network card goes inactive about the same time as I'm asked for input/time format and never comes back so there's no chance of connecting with a server.

Yes I'm fed up and will probably regret this post in the morning but why can't it a) work and b) be a bit easier.

I'm far from a PC novice (and from an expert too) but everyone should be able to make this work.

And I still have no idea what to try next but as it's 1:41 I'm giving up.

S

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:43 AM
  •  Steve Jo wrote:
    Update to the above.  Spent the entire evening on this and have failed.

I guess I should have tested a restore before I really needed one but honestly the whole thing seems so slow, confusing and gives zero help when things go wrong.

For starters how do you know you have the right restore CD?  I stared with the iso on the WHS assuming this would be updated along with everything else.  Doesn't seem so, references here led me to the dual boot restore CD - so I downloaded and burnt that.  Seemed a bit more up to date - at least it had a progress bar at the beginning - but I still don't know if it is the right version.

If you downloaded the dual boot from here, you have the latest version.

Steve Jo wrote:
    Then the whole thing is so slow to get going - on my PC it sits for ages - maybe 10 minutes - with the window with four items in it.

The drivers thing is confusing - on my system it correctly detects the disk and network interface - so I guess I don't need the USB stick?  I tried scanning the usb stick with the folder from the backup but that seemed to hang until I gave up and removed the memeory stick - when I got an error message and the only option was to start the whole slow thing off again.

I could cope with it taking ages if it worked but my PC network card goes inactive about the same time as I'm asked for input/time format and never comes back so there's no chance of connecting with a server.

Yes I'm fed up and will probably regret this post in the morning but why can't it a) work and b) be a bit easier.

I'm far from a PC novice (and from an expert too) but everyone should be able to make this work.

And I still have no idea what to try next but as it's 1:41 I'm giving up.

S

Friday, August 29, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Thanks - I have the latest version.

Thinking about it again in the cold light of morning the USB stick and drivers issue still confuses me.

Without using the USB stick the restore CD correctly lists the network adaptor and storage - so I guess I shouldn't need the usb stick.However this doesn't get the network going...

.. so maybe I should try to put a driver on the USB stick?  Doesn't seem much point in using what's in the drivers restore folder on the server as it looks to be the same as the device found by the restore CD.  What exactly needs to be there?  an inf file and a sys file?  maybe I could look for different versions on the motherboard manufacturers site?

The other idea found here is to add a different network card and try that - seems sensible - but I end up with the same question - what files actually need to go on the usb stick?

I'm trying to convince myself that all is well and that everything is still backed up so I don't have to go through the whole horrible re-install process when I get restore working and even if I do all my data is intact.

Still wish it just worked though!

Cheers

Steve

Friday, August 29, 2008 12:19 PM
  • Hi Steve,

do you have a second PC, to which you can attach the disk, to which you want to restore, temporary?

In this case you could from the running OS of the second PC call the file ClientRestoreWizard.exe in Program Files\Windows Home Server and restore the partition that way to the disk without needing to invoke the restore CD.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:07 PM
  • Great thanks - I'll give it a try.  I'm restoring a bootable system disk - will the workaround still work?

Cheers

S

Friday, August 29, 2008 1:33 PM
  • Steve,

Yes the workaround works fine for a bootable drive.( I've used it to provide a replacement drive for a remote laptop).

if you've added a wired connection, and 'usually' used a wireless one, then you would probably need to add the correct drivers for that particular NIC to your USB stick.

It is possible that the restore doesn't need the USB stick drivers, but unlikely, as the restore CD cannot contain every driver that could possibly be needed in all circumstances.

Good luck,

Colin

Friday, August 29, 2008 6:13 PM
  •  Steve Jo wrote:

Thanks - I have the latest version.

Thinking about it again in the cold light of morning the USB stick and drivers issue still confuses me.

Without using the USB stick the restore CD correctly lists the network adaptor and storage - so I guess I shouldn't need the usb stick.However this doesn't get the network going...

.. so maybe I should try to put a driver on the USB stick?  Doesn't seem much point in using what's in the drivers restore folder on the server as it looks to be the same as the device found by the restore CD.  What exactly needs to be there?  an inf file and a sys file?  maybe I could look for different versions on the motherboard manufacturers site?

The other idea found here is to add a different network card and try that - seems sensible - but I end up with the same question - what files actually need to go on the usb stick?

I'm trying to convince myself that all is well and that everything is still backed up so I don't have to go through the whole horrible re-install process when I get restore working and even if I do all my data is intact.

Still wish it just worked though!

Cheers

Steve

Hi Steve, I've had the same problem that you've experienced.  It was especially frustrating when I had successfully backed up another computer before without a problem.

Now, the problem is, I don't remember the exact path to get it to work.  I had tried so many different permutations & it got a bit muddy in my head...so do this with a grain of salt:

Copy all of the drivers from the drivers directory in your backup onto your USB stick.  In the restore CD portion; point to the drivers on the USB stick to get things moving.  This is suppose to work, after all the drivers in the backup should be the ones you were currently using when the back up was made.  But, this didn't work for me...

Now I had the issue where my network would cut out.  Everything would appear fine, then the ethernet lights would go dark.  This was frustrating enough, because you tend to think something is wrong with your router, cabling, etc, etc...  Apparently the driver on the USB, copied from the backup, wasn't working (no reason why).  I ended up downloading the latest drivers from the motherboard website, copying those to the USB and was successful in restoring the computer.

During the whole process I kept wondering if I should just screw the restore and re-install the OS and start from scratch...but in the end I got it working.

Good luck

Friday, August 29, 2008 11:22 PM
  • Big sigh of relief - successfully restored - marvellous.

I installed an old network card, disabled the motherboard nic in the bios and the restore CD and WHS did their stuff.

Lesson learnt:  Test restore CD on every client - if it doesn't work it's better to sort it before you really need restore.

Cheers

Steve

Saturday, August 30, 2008 3:45 PM
  •  Steve Jo wrote:
    Big sigh of relief - successfully restored - marvellous.

Cheers

Steve

Excellent advice.  Something I would recommend everyone do as well.  Unfortunately, most users don't visit this forum until they have a problem and it may already be too late for them....

Saturday, August 30, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem as the opening poster listed - same realtek controller and same problem with the network going lights-out after boot of the restore CD.  I can work around this problem by moving my drive to another machine and restoring from there, but we should not have to do this!  Microsoft should fix this problem.  What is the use of a backup server if you can't restore. 

After many hours of wasted time, I am very frustrated.

Lindsay
    • Proposed as answer by TripleFun Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:47 PM
    Thursday, December 25, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Lindsay, the issue you describe is not a WHS issue. The drivers for your network interface are at fault. Microsoft doesn't create those drivers, so unfortunately there's not much they can do in this case.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by TripleFun Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:43 PM
    Friday, December 26, 2008 3:18 PM
  • I too had similar problems. I found the earlier relase of Gigabyte RTL8168c driver worked - 5.696.616.2008. All susbequent versions cause a server disconnect midway through a VISTA backup. This older version also fixes Tversity media streaming problems !!!
    Saturday, April 11, 2009 6:50 PM