What is the role of Status Manager and how are they assigned? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

The field "Status Manager" was strange for me, as we have not used it in the description of our tasks. However I came to know of its existance thanks to this forum, and now I have realized it may be a source of false warnings, in the sense users who are neither resources, nor assignment owners, nor project owners, receive e-mail warnings. In addition, I think it explains why some users had Edit/Save rights for projects they did not own, but they were Status Manager to some tasks and thus the project was classified as "My Personal Projects".

I believe this foreign status managers came because we have copied and pasted tasks from one project to another. Is it possible?

Now I want to homogenize all these projects and assign Status Manager only to the PM, who is the Project Owner. But I still do no have a clear idea of what is the role of status manager and how is it ussually assigned.

Could anybody enlight me? By the way I am using PS 2007, although I believe it is a general question

Thank for your help.

Fabian

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 9:48 AM

Answers

• Hi Fabian,

A Status manager field enable you to have more than 1 PM within the same Project plan, monitoring and approving their set of tasks within the same plan.

Consider a scenario: A huge project plan consist of 4 project managers, each with its own set of specialty and will responsible for the set of tasks related to their domain within the same project plan. Each project manager has to monitor their task updates, i.e every PM suppose to receive updates related to his assignments they have created within the same plan and the task progress. how will you  do that?

Here comes the usage of status manager, each PM can set his self as the status manager of those tasks and thus receive any notification related to those assignment updates.so basically its more than PM managing the same Project plan.

Now by default the person who create the project, becomes a Project owner and the status manager of the task in the project. and this is why copy/paste often creates such issues.

Hope this clear your thoughts.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by Fabian Bernal Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:02 AM

All replies

• Hi Fabian,

A Status manager field enable you to have more than 1 PM within the same Project plan, monitoring and approving their set of tasks within the same plan.

Consider a scenario: A huge project plan consist of 4 project managers, each with its own set of specialty and will responsible for the set of tasks related to their domain within the same project plan. Each project manager has to monitor their task updates, i.e every PM suppose to receive updates related to his assignments they have created within the same plan and the task progress. how will you  do that?

Here comes the usage of status manager, each PM can set his self as the status manager of those tasks and thus receive any notification related to those assignment updates.so basically its more than PM managing the same Project plan.

Now by default the person who create the project, becomes a Project owner and the status manager of the task in the project. and this is why copy/paste often creates such issues.

Hope this clear your thoughts.

| Khurram Jamshed | Follow my blog about Enterprise Project Management Solution | http://khurramjamshed.blogspot.com |
    • Marked as answer by Fabian Bernal Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:07 AM
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:02 AM
  • Hi Khurram,

Yes, it helped a lot. It wonders me that such an interesting function is not better explained in the otherwise good book I use as a guide.

Thanks again

Fabian

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 10:07 AM
  • People made a big deal of this feature when it came out in 2007.  My guess
    is that it wasn't new anymore for 2010, and didn't get quite the same focus.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 2:00 PM