"Default storage pool - Offline data error" - complete storage inaccessible RRS feed

• Question

• Did anyone come across this error before and was able to fix it?

What is the intended way to access files from disks which wont be able to mount within Vail anymore?

for a closer description of the problem:

https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/587821/vail-refresh-default-storage-pool-offline-data-error-complete-storage-inaccessible

Friday, August 20, 2010 7:16 PM

All replies

• Using the check and repair functionality for server storage has a known issue logged against it which can result in data loss. I haven't been able to recreate that issue, but I haven't tried very hard. From your bug on Connect, it sounds like you've hit this issue, for which I'm sorry even though I'm not a Microsoft employee, only a Windows Home Server enthusiast. (Note: removing a "missing" disk from server storage also has a known issue against it, which will result in data loss. I have tested that one, and it's not pretty.)

As for recovering your data without Vail, there is no way to do so at this time. Disks that are part of a Vail server storage disk set are only readable via Vail.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 20, 2010 7:56 PM
  • No, i guess it shouldnt be that bug. The drive was disconnected only during a power down. Vail could not have detected that in my point of view. Also i did not try to remove any disk from the server storage either. The whole pool was corrupted right after booting the system.

I tried to setup up a second VM and connecting the pool there aswell but it shows as "Offline data error" even when the pool is not the default storage pool yet.

For recovery there is really something missing here. While i could imagine that there are corruptions on the data level too it is highly unlikely that the whole storage data is lost. Tho it is for the user as soon as Vail cant mount the storage pool anymore.

So that could mean an all-disk loss without a single hardware failure. That said the test system didnt hv much data in it, still i would love to know how an recovery for those cases is ever thought to be possible.
    Friday, August 20, 2010 8:25 PM