Please allow me to Select "Download updates but let me choose" without red status in OneCare RRS feed

• Question

• I am wondering if any progress has been made in getting OneCare changed so that it doesn't display a RED (at Risk) status just because I chose "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them".

I don't want to select "Install updates automatically" because I do not want my PC updated or rebooted in the middle of the night. I want to know when updates happen.

I have lost data in the past when the PC automatically rebooted after an automatic update.

Having OneCare report "At Risk" just becuase of this setting almost makes task bar icon useless, because it will now always be reporting "At Risk". I really like most of the other features of OneCare. I have switched over from NAV.

Thanks

-Mike

Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

• No, this is still not changed in OneCare. You must have it set to install automatically, but you can set it to install at a time where you won't be using the PC.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:47 PM

All replies

• No, this is still not changed in OneCare. You must have it set to install automatically, but you can set it to install at a time where you won't be using the PC.

-steve

Friday, January 4, 2008 6:47 PM
  • Slomike -

AFter spending a lot of time looking into how to get windows, advanced users who don't like auto updates, and onecare to work together... here is a suggestion one frustrated user to another...

OneCare is designed for the "I don't want to think about it - do it for me" crowd.  I didn't know this since it was auto installed when I signed up for Qwest DSL... however, I am one of those advanced users like yourself who are frustrated.

The best way to get OneCare and your PC to work together is to allow the auto updates BUT to schedule them for a time YOU specify and will remember that it's doing so and will not crash your computer.. such as a lunch break, or at the end of the day or some such time.

Otherwise - OneCare will want to handle things for you.  It's just not designed to be more customizeable.  I wish there were two products.. or versions of the same thing.  Or that they allowed you to have the settings your way, and give you the warning, but not go ballistic. 

I hope this helps... but with all I have looked it, it seems that going beyond this right now is not something OneCare CAN do.
    Thursday, June 4, 2009 9:32 PM