One Care will not recogonize the drive I have my "book" backup device hooked too RRS feed

• Question

• One Care was working fine till I unplugged "My Book" backup device.
    When I replugged it in, I constantly get the message "could not find your backup device: K:\

Please tell me what I can do to get the green balloon again:  Backup is only reason I get "Fair" protection.

Thank you
    Mildred
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:23 PM

Answers

• Hello, Mildred.
    Open Windows Explorer (or My Computer/Computer) and see if your My Book backup device is listed as an available drive. It should appear as drive K:\
    If Windows has assigned it a different drive letter, OneCare will balk and you have two choices  - use Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Disk Management from Control Panel to change the drive letter of the My Book drive to be K: again or change the backup location in OneCare to be the new drive letter that Windows Explorer has given the MyBook device. The latter might require you to reset the backup completely. Post back if this is the case.

Another possibility is that the drive is not being recognized by Windows, meaning it won't be seen by OneCare either. Is the drive powered on? Did you connect it to the same USB port?

If you need help wth getting this resolved, you can contact support.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 7:19 PM