Question for Darin Smith or other MS employee familiar with the Windows 7 beta test... RRS feed

• Question

• Thank you all for your help.  I have re-installed the version that is partitioned on the hard drive.  Vista works fine for what I am using this machine for anyway.  I am going to buy 7 though because it actually is a better OS.

I appreciate the time and thought put into this issue from you all.

• Edited by UpperMike Monday, May 3, 2010 11:38 PM
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 12:38 AM

Answers

• They will not be able to confirm his participation in the beta because if privacy reasons. It would be his responsibility to pursue the status of any software he was to recieve. Also, it sounds like he was probably more of an unofficial beta tester if you get my meaning. You should either purchase windows 7 or revert to vista using the restoration functionality (read the manual or users guide) or restoration media. Failing that you can use retail media to install vista with the COA key found on the bottom of the computer and activate by phone. 

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:21 PM
  • As Carl_OH has mentioned, I can't confirm or deny if he was in the Beta Test (to be honest, I have no idea what Micrsoft team would even have access to that information).  I do know that they would not give Beta Testers a Lenovo OEM SLP key (OEM SLP keys are keys only used in Windows that come pre-installed in a computer from a Large Manufacturer) as a reward.

An OEM SLP key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when a Windows is installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates.  If it see no Bios Flag or the Bios Flag for the wrong Manufacturer or wrong Version of Windows...no activation.

As you can see, we would not give out a Key that would only work on computers that already had Windows 7 pre-installed and which came from a single specific Manufacturer.

The fact that an Activation Hack was needed for your computer to use the Windows 7 key only give further proof that Microsoft did not give out that key.

Darin MS
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:13 PM

All replies

• My WAG would be "A".
    Carey Frisch
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 4:32 AM
  • I am not with Microsoft but I am deeply connected.

You HP machine has a valid Vista license, so if you want to get Windows 7 you will need to go buy it. You can buy an upgrade.

I suggest the partition might have an option to burn a DVD, if you can, make a DVD of the installer.

This way if the disk fails your installer is not lost.

Vote if answered or helpful, I am running for Office (joke)! IT/Developer, Windows/Linux/Mainframe Need a some parts finish the new server, see the site for remaining items needed

Yeah, I'm going to buy Windows 7 now only because I like this OS a lot better than Vista.  That burning is a good idea.  Better safe than sorry just in case.

My question is more focused towards the beta tester question because I need to get that resolved.

I do appreciate your answer though and will definitely burn the install that is on the partition.

Thanks

Sunday, May 2, 2010 11:32 AM
  • They will not be able to confirm his participation in the beta because if privacy reasons. It would be his responsibility to pursue the status of any software he was to recieve. Also, it sounds like he was probably more of an unofficial beta tester if you get my meaning. You should either purchase windows 7 or revert to vista using the restoration functionality (read the manual or users guide) or restoration media. Failing that you can use retail media to install vista with the COA key found on the bottom of the computer and activate by phone. 

Sunday, May 2, 2010 3:21 PM
  • As Carl_OH has mentioned, I can't confirm or deny if he was in the Beta Test (to be honest, I have no idea what Micrsoft team would even have access to that information).  I do know that they would not give Beta Testers a Lenovo OEM SLP key (OEM SLP keys are keys only used in Windows that come pre-installed in a computer from a Large Manufacturer) as a reward.

An OEM SLP key is geared to work with the OEM Bios Flag found only on that Manufacturer's computer hardware. So when a Windows is installed using the OEM SLP key (at the factory) Windows looks at the motherboard and sees the proper OEM Bios Flag (for that Manufacturer and that version of Windows) and Self-Activates.  If it see no Bios Flag or the Bios Flag for the wrong Manufacturer or wrong Version of Windows...no activation.

As you can see, we would not give out a Key that would only work on computers that already had Windows 7 pre-installed and which came from a single specific Manufacturer.

The fact that an Activation Hack was needed for your computer to use the Windows 7 key only give further proof that Microsoft did not give out that key.

Darin MS
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:13 PM