none
Echoing works only for subfolders?? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't get any error, syncronization works with a folder containing many files and some folders. However, after running the echo sync with the right folder just created (which means empty), the software correctly synced all the folders and subfolders, but not a single file contained in the left folder, saying that those files "did not require action".

So, I must manually copy and update left to right, which makes absolutely no sense, since the software is designed for this purpose. I haven't found any option if not the one that disables the subfolders sync action.

Am I doing something wrong or what?

Thursday, September 9, 2010 4:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Streeme,

Do you mean SyncToy only sync folder and sub folders but no files are synced by SyncToy? It's really a strange thing that I did not met before. Can you give some details about the scenario you met this problem?

Thanks,

Danish

Friday, September 10, 2010 7:41 AM
  • Seems I remember a switch for just building the tree but I may be remembering another program. But the other thing is if this was an existing pair and the files and folders on the right got deleted then synctoy remembers that it has already copied those files there in the past and so thinks it doesn't need to again. I think if you make a fresh pair of your source and dest then it will copy all those files over.
    Monday, September 13, 2010 12:07 AM
  • @Streeme

I've found that SyncToy v2.1 echo doesn't work any better than v2.0.

I backed up data in a subdirectory tree to an external drive. Later, I deleted a few files (and also added a few) from my main drive and ran SyncToy v2.1. It failed to detect the deleted files and as a result, those files weren't deleted from the backup drive. I had the same problem with SyncToy v2.0.

This is such a fundamental core feature of SyncToy and it was known to be a bug in v2.0, there must be something simple that we've both overlooked. Maybe a flag or option that should be used when the Echo feature is run.

It's impossible to believe this bug escaped attention when v2.1 was tested.

Edit:

I should have mentioned that after the Echo operation failed to delete the files from the backup drive, I ran SyncToy v2.1 again. SyncToy failed to find the deleted files. This is very easy to detect, after running SyncToy just click on the source and backup folders with Explorer and use the right mouse button to bring up the properties of each folder. You'll see that the file counts don't match.

The total number of files was about 350. SyncToy Echo has also failed with folders with many more files. In one test, SyncToy failed to deleted from the backup about 2,000 files out of about 80,000. Those were DVD screen capture files that were generated as a test to see if SyncToy could handle large numbers of files. But large number of files or small, SyncToy v2.1 Echo didn't seem to work properly, unless there's an option or setting I should have used.

• Edited by Weblurker Sunday, September 19, 2010 10:50 PM added new information.
    Saturday, September 18, 2010 2:31 AM
  • Njem: I had to delete the pairs and re-make it from the beginning (but exactly the same one) to get it working. However, this operation might need to be manually repeated if some changes occour, right? This can be an issue again.

Weblurker: I don't know if a version works or not. I'm an average user: I downloaded the software and I'd like it to do its work, nothing more nothing less. If you like testing software I'm happy for you, but I'm absolutely not the best one to run such tests: I only need the sw to do things it is supposed to do, otherwise I'd apply for some sw company. In other words I mean that I don't need to know why there's an issue, but rather I'd like not to encounter issues.

Thank you!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 9:25 PM