server backups failing "cannot find the file specified" RRS feed

• Question

• Four of four attempts to have WHS back itself up have failed "cannot find the file specified". I have two 1.9TB drives and a 405 GB drive that are reporting this problem.

Looked in the event log and three doesn't appear to be anything actionable.

The 2TB limit: is it "real space" or "disk space used"? I have the two 1.9TB drives set to compress files.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:42 PM

All replies

• I should add: two of four attempts haven't gotten past the OS partition. All four attempts have gotten past the EFI partition. The target for the backups is a 1TB USB3 external. No drive is anywhere near capacity.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:45 PM
  • Are you allowing the server to use it's default backup strategy, Dick? Have you tried running chkdsk /r on each of the drives in your server?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:18 PM
  • The 2TB limit: is it "real space" or "disk space used"? I have the two 1.9TB drives set to compress files.

Disk used.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:31 PM
  • Followed the Dashboard Home|Setup|Setup server backups path to the letter except selected backing up the 405 GB balance of the drive the OS partition is on despite there being no WHS data stored there at present. All other settings except volume label for the backup drive were as specified by the WHS setup defaults.

Have not run chkdsk since a) all drives are brand new--first formatted Sunday, and b) nothing else suggests any hint of a problem with the drives or the data they are storing. Can certainly run it but it doesn;t seem a likely avenue of attack.

I should add--the first failure case was in the scheduled overnight run. The next three were this morning run from the Dashboard Backup the server (or whtever it's called) link...
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 5:06 PM
  • Have not run chkdsk since a) all drives are brand new--first formatted Sunday, and b) nothing else suggests any hint of a problem with the drives or the data they are storing. Can certainly run it but it doesn;t seem a likely avenue of attack.
    Could you do so, please? New drives are more likely to fail than drives that have been running several weeks (it's called "juvenile failure").
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 6:38 PM
  • It's also called infant mortality and is associated with the bathtub curve. I get all of that. We'd be talking infant mortality on three drives from two manufacturers and two sources that arrived in two separate cartons and that have show no other evidence of problems reading and writing data. That having been said, the 405 GB one is 48% through the free space with no problems reported and then I'll reboot it and it'll check all three remaining volumes. THAT having been said, I have an appointment with a 6 AM airplane for ten days away from home. May not get a chance to look at the results from that for awhile.

The 11 am backup failed in the OS partition (which has backed up sucessfully once). Here's its event data:

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Backup
    Date:          8/9/2011 12:03:43 PM
    Event ID:      517
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          SYSTEM
    Computer:      homeserv
    Description:
    The backup operation that started at '‎2011‎-‎08‎-‎09T18:00:29.883158300Z' has failed with following error code '2147942402' (The system cannot find the file specified.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Backup" Guid="{1DB28F2E-8F80-4027-8C5A-A11F7F10F62D}" />
        <EventID>517</EventID>
        <Version>0</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>0</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x8000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-08-09T18:03:43.510698400Z" />
        <EventRecordID>1898</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation />
        <Execution ProcessID="4040" ThreadID="7320" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>homeserv</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="BackupTime">2011-08-09T18:00:29.883158300Z</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorCode">2147942402</Data>
        <Data Name="ErrorMessage">%%2147942402</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

The data says it gagged on a file name specified but never mentions that filename... How helpful...

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 2:37 AM
  • One other possibility I haven't yet Googled (Bing? useless) but will: the Momentus XT hybrid drives and WS2008R2 backup have some bad voojoo with one another.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 3:22 AM
  • Probably it's only one drive causing the problems, if there's a hardware issue at all (your next post suggests you think there's a compatibility issue between server backup and one of your drives), but you provided insufficient intormation for anyone to tell you "Run chkdsk /r on this one drive", so I asked you to run it on all drives.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 1:17 PM
  • Since all drives past the first one or two (the EFI partition backed up every time, the OS partition twice) were reporting this error, it gave the appearance of all the physical drives ending in this problem.

Some more "quick hunch" testing at 3:30am just before having to depart suggests that the problem is really with the TARGET disk of the backup, not the source disks. (That's the disk with the least operational experience--basically I fired it up, .ZIPped the bundleware onto it, copied off the bundleware archive, and let WHS Server Backup take over.) It appears that past a certain point on the disk it isn't working. Need to check that out some more--also this is a USB3 device with an add-in USB3 driver. May try it USB2 or on a different machine. But won't be able to do that testing till the 21st...

Thursday, August 11, 2011 1:39 PM
  • I struggled with this issue a bit until I resolved it recently. The fix was to add another drive and move the "Client Computer Backups" folder  (using the "Move the folder" wizard) to the new drive. Once I did this the problem has not occured since.

Now for the background information on my Windows Home Server setup. I'm not exactly using it the way Microsoft intended. It is a VM running on ESX 4. My server that is running ESX 4 has a LSI 3ware SAS 9750-8i RAID controller. It has 8 x 1TB hard drives configured in four sets of mirrored drives. So each pair of drives are independant of the other.

I use a program called USBRedirector that allows me to connect USB drives over the network. This is how I connect a USB drive into my WHS. I was switching between two separate 2TB drives for my external backup. When I talk about how I connected a USB drive to the home server I would connect it to my workstation and the USBRedirector would present it to the WHS as a USB drive.

This configuration happily worked for while. The main thing that changed is that I started backing up a couple more client computers that had a 100+ GB of data on their disks.

I kept getting the error "The scheduled backup did not finish successfully and returned the following error code: 2147942402. The system cannot find the file specified". I was originally only using 1 x external 2TB drive connected to a generic USB2 controller. Backups sometimes worked and sometimes didn't. So I went out and purchased a brand name external 2TB USB drive and started using it to do the backups as well. Same again, sometimes worked, sometimes didn't.

The failure always seemed to be backing up the G: drive on the WHS which contained the "Client Computer Backups" folder (413GB) and a music folder I created (1.1GB). So I moved the VM hard disk for G: to another mirrored set in ESX, this did not make any difference.

So then I added another virtual hard disk to the VM and moved the "Client Computer Backups" folder  (using the "Move the folder" wizard) to the new drive I added to WHS. This took about 4 hours for the process to complete.

Since then the backups have run fine. Every day I swap the external 2TB drives so I have one backup offsite and one onsite and this seems to work fine for me.

I hope this information is of some help.

Thursday, February 16, 2012 9:12 PM