How to tell which hard drive is which physically? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built WHS. It has 5 x 1TB drives installed. I am considering starting to change out my 1TB drives for 2TB drives one at a time over time to expand my storage. Problem is I don't know which hard drive listed in the console is the physical hard drive in my machine. What is the best way to go about determining which hard drive is physically in the machine? Should I make note of the disk names, shut down, unplug one, check which one is missing, and do this one at a time? Will this cause WHS to freak out?

Thanks.

Sunday, May 2, 2010 7:33 PM

All replies

• You won't cause any harm to your server by disconnecting a drive temporarily. Before you do this, though, you may want to check out the "Disk Management" add-in; it will let you build a wireframe representation of your server so you'll know which drive is which in the future. You'll still have to pull the drives one at a time to identify them, however.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, May 2, 2010 8:36 PM
  • In Addition to what ken says there is also an add-in called WHS Smart - this gives the serial number of the drive which should match up with what is printed on the lable stuck to the drive itself.
    --
    • Proposed as answer by Tiberium Wednesday, May 5, 2010 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 3:34 PM
  • If I remember correctly, the WHS Add-In shows also the serial number of the disk in the details.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:45 PM
  • Hi there - I know this is a year later, but I found this thread while searching for the same answer. I had this same problem and did the following:

Download Aeo3 HD Smart Lite

Run it - it's portable so there's no install

You'll see all of your HDDs listed with serial numbers similar to as follows:

Disk Index: 0

Model: WDC...

Serial: BlablablA

-------------

Disk Index: 1

--------------

Disk Index: 2

Then, go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer management, Disk Management

And the Disk Numbers listed in the bottom half of the plugin correspond to the Disk Indexes in the AEO3 software, and the drive letter is posted there on the right.

Voila - you can map Drive Letters to Physical Disks - assuming you can see the serial number on the disks... Not a problem for me since my stuff is scattered about like a spider!

Friday, June 17, 2011 8:19 PM