Incompatible version RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to resolve a problem that a friend has found himself in.

He has being using Money 98 Business version to manage his business for many years. He recently had in an IT guy who "helpfully" upgraded his Money 98 Business to Money 2002 Standard. This, of course, does not have the business bits in that he needs. I have tried to open the file in the Money 2002 Full version but it complains that was created by an incompatible version. Is there any solution to this?

Sadly my friend did not have a backup (silly I know, but I wasn't involved or I would have taken one). Is all lost?

Andy

Wednesday, June 1, 2011 2:33 PM

All replies

• That error message indicates that versions from different countries are involved. What country was the original from?
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 5:58 PM
  • Thanks. The original Money 98 was for the UK so I assume the 2002 was also... Obviously the one I'm trying isn't. So now to try a source a UK version...
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:04 AM
  • At the time the conversion from Money 98 was done, a *.mn6 file would have been saved on the drive. That is a copy of the Money 98 file from before conversion. If your friend has the Money 98 disk (not the best version) it should be able to use that mn6 file. Transactionses added after conversion would not be there.

I would consider going to Ebay and search for Microsoft Money, and sort by Distance:Nearest first.

Money 2002, 2003, and 2004 should be able to open a Money 2002 file. Those, plus 98, 99, 2000, and 2001 should be able to use the *.mn6 file.

Expect a UK version box to contain "WIN32 ENGBRIT UK" on the box, at least for some vintages.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 12:23 AM
  • Many thanks. I will have a look for the file and get my friend to try and find his Money 98 disks he has put away safe... :-)
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:02 AM
  • See http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/19.aspx. The last UK version of Money with the Business facilities was 2002.

If your friend exports his Money 98 data as qif he could probably import it to Sunset. This is a tedious process: each account has to be exported separately and closed accounts reopened to enable exporting to preserve the full history. The accounts should be imported all together to recreate the transaction links.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 7:41 PM
  • Also trying to covert 98 to sunset. I downloaded money 2004 (m12usweb). I also get the message " can not open file it was created by an incompatible version. My money98 was purchased in Australia. Can somebody help. Many Thanks David
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 11:21 AM
  • Also trying to covert 98 to sunset. I downloaded money 2004 (m12usweb). I also get the message " can not open file it was created by an incompatible version. My money98 was purchased in Australia. Can somebody help. Many Thanks David

You will need to export your data as loose qif from Money 98 and import it to Sunset. Sunset is only compatible with US file versions of Money and you have an English International version.

Watch http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/money/thread/7a8004a7-4b5d-436c-b0c6-99167d9ce509. There may be an English International version of Sunset under development, but we do not yet know if it will happen.

• Proposed as answer by South Aussie Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:06 AM
    Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:20 PM
  • Hi Dominic, thank you for the information. If possible could you explain how I go about exporting (where to find qif file would be a great start) qif from money 98. Many Thanks David
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:09 AM
  • If you have not done the QIF conversion, or if you don't like the result, the International English Money 2005 version should work for you http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/search.aspx?q=MONEY
    Friday, July 29, 2011 8:40 PM