Automatically wake up this computer RRS feed

• Question

• After successfully installing the WHS 2011 OEM software on a server & a few clients, I am trying to figure out how things work. (Please bear with me I'm new to this.)

Specifically, who wakes up a sleeping computer in order to do backups? The server or the client? There is an option when installing the connector software on the client that asks:

Do you want to automatically wake up this computer to back it up?

Being new to WHS, I'm not sure how to interpret this statement. Does it mean the server wakes up the computer? Or does the client wake-up itself? or does it involve the router? It's not clear to me and none of the books, forums, articles, etc., I have read offer much enlightenment. Searching the web, there's very little info out there on this topic. I kow about add-ons that do this, but how does WHS do it? The answers (from the web) are mixed. Some people say the server cannot wake up the client, the client has to wake up intself by means of a previously scheduled task. Others say the server does this automatically.

In any case, it doesn't work for me. When I turn off my Windows 7 client (using the 'Sleep' button, rather than 'ShutDown"). The backup doesn't get done because the client never wakes up.

Sunday, October 16, 2011 4:42 PM

Answers

• The Backup task is set to run at a particular time in the Server backup time window, only runs if the computer is on AC Power and is set to wake up the computer (from Sleep) to be run.

When installing the Connector, my answer to the question "Do you want to automatically wake up this computer to back it up?" was "Yes".

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by marikaj Monday, October 17, 2011 12:56 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:23 PM

All replies

• My view is that the Client wakes itself up and looks for the Server. This is essential as wireless only clients (laptops etc. which can't use Wake On LAN (WOL)) can not be woken up by the server. Others have a different view - search this forum (or the Vail Beta forum) for more discussion.

The following exists on my laptop Task Scheduler which I believe proves my statement:

Name: Backup
    Author: Windows Home Server 2011
    Description: This task automatically backs up this computer at the scheduled time.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 6:04 PM
  • Thanx for the reply, you have given me some good leads. I hadn't looked at the Task Scheduler (I said I was a newbie).

I can see there are two backup tasks: Backup and Backup_on_Idle. Both list WHS 2011 as author.  I don't know what Backup_on_Idle is but after being triggered it repeats every two hours indefinitely.

Although both tasks have been scheduled, neither has ever run, so I'm still missing something. However, I will follow up on the Task Scheduler, it contains a wealth of information.

I would still like to know how the computer wakes up?

Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:15 PM
  • The Backup task is set to run at a particular time in the Server backup time window, only runs if the computer is on AC Power and is set to wake up the computer (from Sleep) to be run.

When installing the Connector, my answer to the question "Do you want to automatically wake up this computer to back it up?" was "Yes".

• Edited by Phil Harrison Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:27 PM
    • Marked as answer by marikaj Monday, October 17, 2011 12:56 PM
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 9:23 PM
  • Thanks again for your help. Backups are now running as they should
    Monday, October 17, 2011 1:00 PM