none
Flat List View is working like Threaded List View, but with no indentation. RRS feed

• Question

• In the forum settings, you can choose between flat list view and threaded list view.  When I choose Flat List View, it's displaying exactly the same as Threaded List View but with no indentation.  If someone responds or quotes a post halfway down  a thread, even with flat list view the response is going to be buried in the middle of the thread.  How do I make it work like a normal forum bulletin board with responses organized by date/time posted, instead of everything always being in a threaded list view (merely with or without indentation)?

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:28 PM

Answers

• Ah. So the system acts a little unexpectedly. When you click "Reply", then it opens a window under the post that you're replying to. That way you can still read what you're replying to. Then you click "Submit". Your post appears under what you reply to. However, it only appears there because the design is that's better than the alternative (to have your post disappear and then reappear at the bottom of the thread). But the reality is that's what will happen.

So when you refresh the screen, your reply will be at the bottom, as expected. You're right that this behavior isn't what is expected, but I see why it was chosen.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:39 PM
    Owner

All replies

• Can you include a url exampe and a screen shot (put it on skydrive and link it in)? That'll help a lot. Thanks!
    Community Forums Program Manager
    Thursday, January 13, 2011 3:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Ah. So the system acts a little unexpectedly. When you click "Reply", then it opens a window under the post that you're replying to. That way you can still read what you're replying to. Then you click "Submit". Your post appears under what you reply to. However, it only appears there because the design is that's better than the alternative (to have your post disappear and then reappear at the bottom of the thread). But the reality is that's what will happen.

So when you refresh the screen, your reply will be at the bottom, as expected. You're right that this behavior isn't what is expected, but I see why it was chosen.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Thursday, February 16, 2012 11:39 PM
    Owner