locked
Can't reinstall on Vista RRS feed

  • Question

  • I upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32 bit Friday and I can't get the beta2 to install.  Right after it asks if you agree to the license terms it goes to a screen with download/install bars and errors out with an ID 0002-8007007B installation cannot continue.  I have run the repair tool multiple times and rebooted.  I read that the install site has been down since Friday but it is my understanding it is supposed to be back up now.  I mistakingly downloaded the retail version 1.6 in one of the links and uninstalled it and now I can't turn my firewall back on.  I have gone through the help.live.com sections and none of it has helped.

     

    Thanks in advance,

    Chris

    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 6:48 PM

Answers

  • Well, I think I finally got it to work.  I had to search for and delete any OneCare folders and found two under Users\"Username."  I was then able to get past the download/install screen at least to the point of getting a different error message (0019-80070643) which turned out to be a firewall issue.  After looking in the firewall section, I found a link for a different utility (onecarecleanup.exe) which I ran and after a reboot my Windows Firewall was back to running and allowing access to my Media Center.  I then took a chance and ran the Beta install again and now it's working.

     

    [Note] I had previously run the cleanup utility and it did not work.  So I think deleting the folders was the key in my case anyway.

    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:33 AM

All replies

  • I would try uninstalling One Care, then use the cleanup tool - http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe then try the installation troubleshooting tips here - http://download.microsoft.com/download/4/c/b/4cb845e7-1076-437b-852a-7842a8ab13c8/OneCareCleanUp.exe then try the installation troubleshooting tips here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910656/en-us then try installing One Care beta.

     

    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 9:21 PM
    Moderator
  • OneCare has been uninstalled although when I ran the uninstall cleanup wizard both versions 1.6 and 2.0 showed up and I removed them.  I removed all the xml versions and parsers.  When I tried to reinstall xml version 2 it gave an error about it already being a part of the OS.  Other than that I have tried all the troubleshooting tips in the article and am still getting the same error message.  Something I failed to mention is this is a Vista upgrade from XP Pro SP2.  I also emailed support Friday and haven't heard anything back from them.  Not trying to snitch on them just saving a post about contacting support.

     

    Thanks for the help,

    Chris

    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:49 PM
  • Sorry I couldn't help Chris. Contacting support was the right move. I hope you hear from them soon.

    Wednesday, August 29, 2007 10:53 PM
    Moderator
  • Chris, it is okay to report that support has not gotten back to you. Do make sure that any replies are not being marked as spam and heading into a junk folder.

    If you haven't heard from them since last Friday, please open a new support case.

    -steve

     

    Thursday, August 30, 2007 2:07 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks.  Luckily it's a new email address so I can still go through the spam.  So, I know I haven't received any response since the automated one.  I'll open a new one.

    Thursday, August 30, 2007 5:29 AM
  • Please keep us updated on the status.

    -steve

     

    Thursday, August 30, 2007 3:17 PM
    Moderator
  • Well, I think I finally got it to work.  I had to search for and delete any OneCare folders and found two under Users\"Username."  I was then able to get past the download/install screen at least to the point of getting a different error message (0019-80070643) which turned out to be a firewall issue.  After looking in the firewall section, I found a link for a different utility (onecarecleanup.exe) which I ran and after a reboot my Windows Firewall was back to running and allowing access to my Media Center.  I then took a chance and ran the Beta install again and now it's working.

     

    [Note] I had previously run the cleanup utility and it did not work.  So I think deleting the folders was the key in my case anyway.

    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 3:33 AM
  • Thanks for reporting what appears to have resolved it for you. Good luck going forward.

    -steve

     

    Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:23 PM
    Moderator