Sync provider using the Entity Framework RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have to implement a feature within our company framework, in which I have to synchronize an occasionally connected client-side database. As a general principle, we have been asked to use the Entity framework with Linq to Entities to access the server databases.

This is my first attempt to do any work with the Sync Framework, so I would appreciate opinions on what the best approach would be to implement this feature.

- Derive from ServerSyncProvider or DbServerSyncProvider and implement the GetChanges and ApplyChanges methods using Linq to Entities.

- Implement a simple or standard custom provider using Linq to Entities

- Use SqlSyncProvider

Thanks,

Friday, April 30, 2010 5:54 AM

Answers

• I suggest you go with the SqlSyncProvider as the collaboration providers has far more robust provisioning API (albeit, no Visual Studio Designer support), memory-based batching, etc.

And if you really need to use LINQ, you also have the same flexibility similar to the DBServerSyncProvider to implement the database access to LINQ.

Also, if  you opt for your 1st option, if your client database happens to be SQLExpress, there is no client sync provider for SQL Express except for a sample provider.

Friday, April 30, 2010 4:30 PM