Of a sudden, streaming video from my server to any client pc is jerky and freezes. RRS feed

• Question

• Of a sudden, streaming video from my server to any client pc is jerky and freezes.  I've had no trouble of this sort until today.  I use a gigabite router and cat 6 cables.  Anyone else have this problem?  What should I look for?

Thanks.

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:15 AM

Answers

• First things that come to mind:

1. The use of high bitrates and/or inefficent codecs (resulting in the client not keeping up with the video/audio frames)
    Test with video files you know of not having had streaming problems in the past.

2. Network problems?
    Double check your network troughput. Can the client read/write files to the server shares at the expected data rate?

3. High sever CPU load.
    RDP to the WHS server desktop, start taskmanager. Anything unusual on the CPU usage reported?
    DE duplicating, indexer running, something else?

4. Failing drive. This is known as a cause for the server performance dropping dramatically.
    In the case you do experience noticable server performance issues (with no obvious cause), first decide if your data is safe or maybe you'd want to copy off some files (no duplication, no backup). This is because _if_ a drive is about to fail, the next might trigger it into failing: Run chkdsk on the server system- and all data drives.

- Theo.

PS - Re-reading my post: maybe best to start checking in reverse order :-)

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, June 11, 2010 8:24 PM

All replies

• First things that come to mind:

1. The use of high bitrates and/or inefficent codecs (resulting in the client not keeping up with the video/audio frames)
    Test with video files you know of not having had streaming problems in the past.

2. Network problems?
    Double check your network troughput. Can the client read/write files to the server shares at the expected data rate?

3. High sever CPU load.
    RDP to the WHS server desktop, start taskmanager. Anything unusual on the CPU usage reported?
    DE duplicating, indexer running, something else?

4. Failing drive. This is known as a cause for the server performance dropping dramatically.
    In the case you do experience noticable server performance issues (with no obvious cause), first decide if your data is safe or maybe you'd want to copy off some files (no duplication, no backup). This is because _if_ a drive is about to fail, the next might trigger it into failing: Run chkdsk on the server system- and all data drives.

- Theo.

PS - Re-reading my post: maybe best to start checking in reverse order :-)

Friday, June 11, 2010 8:24 PM
  • Thank you; I'll give it a shot tonight.
    Friday, June 11, 2010 11:19 PM
  • I am having the same problem, steaming from the server to a PCH A-110 and A200.  Was watching a DVD rip the other night and the movie keep freezing.  Pulled up the resource monitor to watch CPU, DIsk, Networ, and memory.  When the movie would freeze the Network I/O went to zero.  Lasted anout 30-45 sec, then the network picj=k up again, movie would fast forward to the right spot and then play normal.  I have been having BluRay problems, nbut this was the first with a normal DVD rip.  I have no idea what to look at to see what is causing this.   However, it will stream to my i7 laptop, Bluray and DVD, no problem.  My CPU usage was 2 %. Ram is 74 %, Is this normal (4G)? I do not see Task Manager???
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:24 AM
  • It was an HDD failure.  Thanks for the info.
    Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:23 PM
  • As you are only experiencingthis problem when streaming to the PCH A-110 and A200, I would say you should firts look for the problem there.

Could be these devices have problems with the codec's used. For instance, I have seen this behaviour with my Linksys DMA 2200 Media extenders. They have problems handling certain MPEG videos at high resolution/bitrates.

- Theo.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 7:35 PM