Money Plus Sunset - Unusual problem with a watch investment account RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Several weeks ago I had to migrate from a non-functioning MS Money 2005 Std. CDN to MS Money Plus Sunset - US.

This has worked well - thanks to everyone who responded to my requests for assistance.

My main investment account is flagged as a 'watch' account, and I want to remove that designation, however

there is no setting to do so. As a watch account I can't get OFX updates from the bank without being asked

to update (double) all my existing shares.

If I transfer this account to a new one, the individual transactions stay in the old account, limiting my ability

to generate detailed analysis of the data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike 

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:12 PM

All replies

• From the AccountList, right-click the account, and choose SeeAccountSettings. Untick the WatchAccount checkbox (3rd of 6 checkboxes).

If this does not work for some reason, I would try making a repaired version of your file with
    File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2

If you still have a problem, there could be another way to deal with this,  but I suspect that one of the easier ways will work.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 2:09 PM
  • Thanks -

1) There is no WatchAccount checkbox (only 5 checkboxes).

2) No difference after File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

Your other thing to try?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:31 PM
  • For a watch account I have, there are these checkboxes consecutively after the Account Currency:

Favorite account
    This account has been closed
    Watch account
    Retirement account
    Tax deferred
    Track cash transactions.

What checkboxes do you have?

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 3:53 PM
  • For the watch account I have, these are the checkboxes consecutively after the Account Currency:

Favorite account
    Retirement account
    Tax deferred
    Track cash transactions.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:16 PM
  • I am working on a procedure where you will copy transactions from the watch account to a new investment account. What I want to know is do you "Track cash transactions"?

I would guess yes, but if the answer is no, it would simplify things at this point.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:20 PM
  • Yes I do - in all my investment accounts.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:37 PM

• Keep an extra copy or backup of your file, in case you want to undo something.

In experimenting, I find I cannot do a QIF export from a watch investment transactions account or the associated Cash account. Therefore the process is a little tedious. Please post where the suggested procedure is ambiguous, awkward, or incorrect for the benefit of somebody who might have this same problem. I have done only limited testing of portions of the process, so there may be errors. Keeping an extra copy or backup at intermediate points, may also be wise -- particularly if you have a lot of transactions.

Here is what I would do: I may refer to the old watch account as OldWatch below. I would create a new investment account with the desired settings. I will call that 1NewInv below. By starting the account name with '1', it will be at the start of lists. You can rename the account later. If you are tracking cash transactions, be sure that is selected in the settings. Be sure that each of the Settings are what you want.

1. Go to OldWatch account Investment Transactions register. Sort the account by date oldest first, if it is not already that way. Right-click the first transaction, and choose CopyToAccount. Choose 1NewInv, and click OK. You may get a pop-up. In that case, answer yes.

Repeat for each non-void transaction in date order.

2. When you finish that, go to OldWatch account, Cash Transactions register.  Make sure the transactions are in order of increasing date. File->Print to get copy of the transactions and the running balance. This running balance may be important in checking for missing or duplicate transactions. Get into multi-line mode with Ctrl+T. For each transaction that does *not* say TransferFrom:OldWatch, Right-click and choose CutAndPasteToAccount, 1NewInv, and click OK. The reason we are not copying this time is really just for a Transfer situation. If you have a transfer to or from your bank account, we don't want to have a duplicate.

3. Go to the 1NewInv Investment Transactions. Get into multi-line mode with Ctrl+T. For each investment transaction, Change the TransferFrom (in the Quantity column) to 1NewInv(Cash) or 1NewInv(Contributions) depending if this is a taxable account or not. This will get the cash transactions register populated with Dividends, Buys, Sells, etc. But at this point, it is still missing the transactions that are only in the Cash/contributions account.

Check things out. Inspect for duplicate and missing transactions. Inspect that the cash balance is what it should be. Having that cash transactions register with the running balance should be helpful. You might also want to have the old file on a different computer for comparison.

Let us know how it works.

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:26 PM
  • Thanks for all your work on trying to resolve my issue.

I have over six years of data for 12 of the 16 investments in this account - that's a lot of data to move one entry at a time...

Several questions  -

Can either the Money main file (.mny) or backup file (.mbf) be read by MS SQL or MS Access to reset the watch setting on this account?

Do you know if the watch setting is a single entry in either of these files - i.e. if I created 2 new Money files with a single investment account of the same name, one with watch set and one without, would there be a single byte change between the 2 files I could reset in a copy of my existing .mny or .mbf file?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 10:06 AM
  • Search this forum for "Sunriise". Note double i. I don't know if that watch flipping feature might exist, but it is your best shot at file manipulation as far as I know. Also see the sourceforge page

I was disappointed it was not as simple as un-ticking a box in the account details. A simple thing you could try without a lot of new hope of helping, is to do a level 1 repair on the file version that you did the level 2 repair. That will remove any customized reports, but maybe it is worth a try to see if the WatchAccount checkbox would appear.

Consider looking into recording mouse macros. I don't have any to suggest, but maybe you could search one out to make things easier.

Consider how many transactions you are really talking about. If you could do 6 per minute, you could do 360 in a head-down hour. It's not as fun as seeking out and implementing another solution, but it might actually be fewer hours. If you don't day trade, and if you have mostly securities without quarterly dividends, it might be manageable

You could maybe shorten the operation. Suppose, for example, you only copied the Buys and Sells over to the new accounts, but not the dividends and pure cash transactions. Then you do as little as one compensating cash transaction to make up the cash balance. Then just keep up with individual transactions going forward.

One way to get a count of transactions would be to go to the investment transactions report. Set for all dates. Right-click the report and choose Copy. Open a spreadsheet, and choose Paste. See how many lines were used. Another possibility is to do some fancy Excel work at that point and make a pair of QIF files to import into the new Investment Account an associated cash account.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Thanks for all your suggestions Cal - very much appreciated.

I will explore Sunriise and Moneylink before resorting to moving the transactions to a new account.

I'll let you know how things work out.

Mike

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:44 PM
  • For the watch account I have, these are the checkboxes consecutively after the Account Currency:

Favorite account
    Retirement account
    Tax deferred
    Track cash transactions.

Long shot, but maybe if you tried toggling the Retirement account and Tax deferred boxes a time or two, it could break the Watch account loose.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:59 PM
  • On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:16:46 +0000, Mike Cunningham wrote:

>
    >
    >For the watch account I have, these are the checkboxes consecutively after the Account Currency:
    >
    >Favorite account
    >This account has been closed
    >Retirement account
    >Tax deferred
    >Track cash transactions.
    >

Mike,
       I have been following this thread and, with only those check boxes listed, wonder if the account is truly a Watch Account (as defined by MSMoney).  I see those checkboxes on "regular" accounts, but not on my watch account.
    How is it "flagged" as a watch account?
    If you try to export your investment accounts, is this account available for export?

Ron
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 7:52 PM
  • Good idea - didn't change anything though.

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:23 PM
  • Ron:

1) There are a pair of binoculars to the right of the account name in Portfolio Manager.

2) No, it isn't.

Mike

Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:25 PM
  • On Thu, 30 Aug 2012 23:25:17 +0000, Mike Cunningham wrote:

>
    >
    >Ron:
    >
    >1) There are a pair of binoculars to the right of the account name in Portfolio Manager.

Ah, I see that symbol now.  I wonder if the absence of that check bos  is some consequence of originally having the Canada version, or if your data file is just messed up.

The only additional method that MS recommends for repairing data files is to
       Remove the bill data and
       Verify that the Temp Folder is Valid, and then Empty the Temp Folder

>
    >2) No, it isn't.

And I shouldn't have needed to ask that had I read your posts more clearly, as you already wrote that you couldn't export it.

Ron
    Friday, August 31, 2012 12:15 AM
  • Ron,

I have other investment accounts that have the checkbox for watch account,

so I don't think it's the Canadian version - probably data file as you say.

I went back to my old MS Money 2005 Std. - Canada and the checkbox is missing from the same account there as well.

Environment settings for TMP and TEMP match - emptying the folder now.

Mike

Friday, August 31, 2012 11:06 AM
  • Hmm.  Interesting.  Don't neglect to try the "Remove the bill data" option also.

Ron

Friday, August 31, 2012 12:30 PM
  • I took a quick look. In table ACCT, there are a column named fWatch. Its type is boolean.

I toggle the value from true to false.

With that change I can see the "used-to-be" watch account showing up in the Portfolio view (without the show watch account selected).

Also, try to Export and I do see the "used-to-be" watch account showing up in the list of account that you can select.

I think you might want to toggle field fTaxExport to allow the account to be export for tax report (guessing).

As always, caveats is to test this out first on a copy of your *.mny.

Saturday, September 1, 2012 2:30 PM
  • I took a quick trial myself. In Sunriise I found it was important to leave the "Encrypted" box ticked during opening, even though the *.mny file had no Money password.

So the method would be to File->Open the file, not write-protected but Encrypted.

In  ACCT I found 124 columns, and #90 horizontally was  fWatch (73% across).  So before scrolling over far, see the #6 column szFull. This is the account name. Look down the column. Locate the problem investment account and its cash account. Click and ctrl+<click> to highlight those rows. Then scroll horizontally over to fWatch. Single click each of the 2 checkboxes to get rid of the tick. Pause to make sure you did not toggle the bit twice. Then File->Exit. The modifications were already made.

Open the file in Money, and see what you find. I found the Watch account I changed was no longer a Watch account.

FYI, there was an fCanadian column in column #63 within ACCT. None of those boxes were ticked for me.

Column #86 fTaxExport was already ticked for all of my accounts including Watch and retirement accounts.

From my limited trial, it seems good. I have good hope for Mike's situation,

Saturday, September 1, 2012 7:22 PM
  • I took a quick look myself. In Sunriise I found it was important to leave the "Encrypted" box ticked during opening, even though the *.mny file had no password.

So the method would be to File->Open the file not write-protected but Encrypted.

In  ACCT I found 124 columns, and #90 horizontally was  fWatch (73% across).  So before scrolling over far, see the #6 column szFull. Look down the column. Locate the problem investment account and its cash account. Click and ctrl+<click> to highlight those rows. Then scroll horizontally over to fWatch. Click each of the 2 checkboxes to get rid of the tick. Click nearby to make sure you did not toggle the bit twice. Then File->Exit. The modifications were already made.

Open the file in Money and see what you find.

FYI, there was an fCanadian column in column #63 within ACCT. None of those boxes were ticked for me.

Column #86 fTaxExport was already ticked for all of my accounts including Watch accounts.

From my limited trial, it seems good.

Encrypted is actually related *.mny being a "ms-access file with encrypted page" (vs. just plain ms-access file). So yes, even without password, you want to leave the encrypted flag checked for any *.mny file. Yes, even with no password, at the data layer, the data is encrypted with a key that uses a null password.

Row/column navigation is still a pain-in-the-a**. In my working tree, I've added some code to allow row filtering and quick jump to a particular column. I will probably check them in and create a new build sometime next week.

• Edited by hleOfxQuotes Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:29 PM
    Saturday, September 1, 2012 9:25 PM
  • Thank you both for your efforts and this information.

I will dig into a copy of my .mny file with Sunriise on Tuesday, when I'm back online.

Regards,

Mike

Sunday, September 2, 2012 2:50 PM
  • Did you find the answer to "Can either the Money main file (.mny) or backup file (.mbf) be read by MS SQL or MS Access to reset the watch setting on this account?"

Friday, February 27, 2015 11:34 PM