Nortel CS1000E/OCS and UM Inquiry RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We recently went into a customer and performed a 40 user OCS pilot.  We enabled the pilot users for IM, Presence and Web/Video conferencing.  The customer would like to now extend the pilot by intergrating OCS with their existing Nortel CS1000E PBX.  Along with that, they want to implement Unified Messaging but they're on Exchange 2003 so I know myself that they'll need to migrate to Exchange 2007. 

I was looking for assistance in anwsering the following questions:

1. What would the hardware/software requirements be to allow OCS to integrate with their Nortel CS1000E?  Will they need a VoIP gateway or OCS Mediation Server?
    2. If that customer comes back and says they're not ready to move to Exchange 2007 just yet (for Unified Messaging) what benefits do they get with OCS

Thanks for your help.

Monday, August 11, 2008 1:32 PM

All replies

• For this to work with OCS and or Exchange 2007 Um you will have to attach a gateway preferrably to an Internal Lineside E1 running Qsig with supplementary services ( the supp services are needed for exchange Um )

The software relase on the CS1000 is good to know because if its 5.0 or 5.5 then you could look at native integration for Exchange via Direct Sip trunks, this is active from release 5 onwards. 5,5 bridged the OCS direct gap thus not needing a gateway. the gateway will be needed though if im correct for 4.3 and 5 ( 5 only for OCS )

the mediation server will be needed for all cases where an OCS user needs to talk to a PSTN client, IE you phoning the wife from OCS, as this does all the funky stuff.

The customer if still on 2003 will obviosuly not get VM into his Inbox, You also wont be able to direct Voicemail from OCS into exchange as this was Exchange 2007 SP1 specific.

he will however get presance passthru into outlook as long as hes running sp3 office 2003 or 2007 outlook.

hope it helped

regards

Robert

POSTcti

Thursday, October 2, 2008 3:04 PM
  • Hi

Answers to your queries

1.The main function of this Microsoft OCS server is to provide signalling and media translation between the OCS voice infrastructure and the telephony world. (G711 to RTAudio …).

If the customer wants to twin the OCS users with the deskphones then would suggest the Converged Office Solution which allows the customer to answer calls on the OCS client or the deskphone seamlessly. For this the CS1000e needs to be at software release level 5.

I have several customers that have implemented the OCS but have not yet made the migration to Exch 2007. There are several options open to your customer and good advice at this stage is essential to ensuring he goes with the right options.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly for full details on this.

jbrindly@nortel.com

Friday, October 3, 2008 4:21 PM
  • For OCS to Nortel integration they would need.  2 servers on top of the OCS FE.  A mediation Server, and a OCS proxy server.  the OCS Proxy is where the Nortel MCM software is installed.  Nortel recently put out a bulletin stating that the software was no longer supported on release 5.0.

contact me if you have questions.  I work for Vox Network Solutions and we support maintain and install Nortel and Microsoft products.

cmcgreanor@voxns.com

www.voxns.com support.voxns.com

Thursday, November 13, 2008 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

1. Nortel can server as the pstn gateway. You will need a mediation server and a proxy server for the MCM application.

2. OCS provides the presence, IM, and dual forking features, OCS also acts as the softphone and can tranverse firewalls which enables calling without the use of a VPN. Have a look at http://www.microsoft.com/uc/products/ocs2007.mspx

OCS is clearly a fantastic application that has numersous benefits.

Regards

Anesh

Thursday, December 4, 2008 4:02 PM